Quantcast
Stoopid things Waiters do... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stoopid things Waiters do...

In any decent restaurant a table number system is ALWAYS USED. Whether or not the waiter decides to abide by it is another story. I am notorious for messing up seat numbers, however, I am ALWAYS at the table when my food arrives (runner system) and I know what goes where by memory. I memorize everything AND write EVERYTHING down. Trust me, I know why chefs/sous chefs get pissed, because I DUMB IT DOWN as much as possible on my ticket modifications.

Not to insult intelligence, just that I know what the customer said, I WROTE IT DOWN. We make a habit to write down what people request, not anything different. Now I am transferring that message on to the kitchen, you cook the food, I will make sure they enjoy there experience here, and I WILL BE TRYING to bang them ($ wise) for as much as possible.

Take this scenario:

When a customer enters the current establishment I work at part time they are seated by a hostess and presented menus and a wine list. I or the backwaiter will greet them (NO NAMES!) with "Hello How do you do?" Let them respond, then ask them for water preference. IF THE GUEST peruses the wine list, I just BRING TWO POLISHED GLASSES to the table. So that way, IF THEY DON'T order a bottle, their lady friend or dining partners will sort of feel they cheapened the experience. I dont push any wines unless asked for advice PERIOD - laid back ill sell them four apps for a deuce to make up for it... If asked I recommed bottles in the $60-140 range unless a WHALE has entered) Your hooters girl in leggings might (read: DOES) have a better butt than me, but they aren't averaging nearly $90 PER HEAD/COVER sales and making $400+ cash in 6 hours 1 day a week. Never touching a dirty dish mind you.

I do pay $8 a week (on top of my day-job suits/shirts) to have my restaurant uniform drycleaned. Presentation is everything.... Of course, I am a veritable encyclopedia of meat cut definitions/vegetable preparations/wines/spirits on top of having spent time working on a commercial fishing boat and two years at a fish wholesaler cleaning local species. I had a number of articles published (Field & Stream, On The Water, The Fisherman) a few years back detailing surf fishing techniques and am basically in tune with what is on the plate and how to describe it perfectly. Having an experienced waiter/captain in your restaurant is important. Just FOOD COST wise, I make an average of one mistake per ten shifts on a check, and it is a salad that wasnt supposed to have dressing. Our current chef is crying when the the one comes back, he waits weeks to start a special crying. He thinks he is Gordo Ramsey FFS... To be honest, his little game is adorable.

I'll take two GoGo Breads for table 35, HOLD THE ATTITUDE PLEASE

JC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Maybe I am not understanding you, but for the prix fixe they have the choice of one soup (potato) and one salad (ceasar)? You then ring in a prix fixe salad, and then modify it to specify ceasar?
    Yes, two choices, and I make sure to specify Ceasar, just to be 100%. Thats how I roll for [your] customers, just as I hope my waiter does to make sure I get everything I F*****G ask for (more importantly what my Lady-friend asks for) when i am out. Only thing is, I am not whining to any waiters manager if I get bad service, and I still tip at least 15-20%. Everyone has a bad day, including the chef.

PLEASE understand that I am not approaching people with anything such as "hi my names billy bob! Do you have any gluten allergies? I ask because I would just love to run into the kitchen now and grab the GM, the sous, the pastry and head chefs and have a symposium on what has f*****G gluten products in it and what doesn't... How about nut allergies........"

JC

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    Yes, two choices, and I make sure to specify Ceasar, just to be 100%. Thats how I roll for [your] customers, just as I hope my waiter does to make sure I get everything I F*****G ask for (more importantly what my Lady-friend asks for) when i am out. Only thing is, I am not whining to any waiters manager if I get bad service, and I still tip at least 15-20%. Everyone has a bad day, including the chef.

PLEASE understand that I am not approaching people with anything such as "hi my names billy bob! Do you have any gluten allergies? I ask because I would just love to run into the kitchen now and grab the GM, the sous, the pastry and head chefs and have a symposium on what has f*****G gluten products in it and what doesn't... How about nut allergies........"

JC
    If you ring "Prix Fixe Salad" and that salad is Caesar, and they wanted Caesar, there is no reason to modify it and type Caesar. If the Prix Fixe salad is Caesar, and you let them substitute a Mesclun Green Salad (or whatever), then modify it to say Mesclun Greens. Don't be redundant.

Well I'm working in an Italian restaurant. All our pastas are home made except for the penne. The thing that pisses me off is that we have a choice of both Tagliatelle and tagliolini and the servers would ALWAYS write tag truffles or tag lobster etc on the order chit... This 2 1/2 yrs after the restaurant opened is not acceptable.....

+ Reply to Thread