Quantcast
Stoopid things Waiters do... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stoopid things Waiters do...

Lordy, a tip of more than 20% puts almost any restaurant out of my price range. Pretty much leaves fast food.

I do think that those problems are caused by servers 90% of the time, because they are server mistakes. Only in a restaurant that is truly a catastrophic sinking ship will you find a cook that, despite making the same menu for hours night after night, doesn't know how to make the food correctly. BOH mistakes that I find common are food that clearly hasn't been held correctly, hamfisted use of flavors, sloppy execution, mystery flavors from cross contamination of spices and what not, or the odd ingredient, like a surprise bit of pork in your vegetable fried rice. Mistakes like incorrect orders, cold steaks, hairs on a plate, food coming out in nonsensical order, etc...that's your waiter's job!

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Delbert Ealy View Post
    When I am dining with one other person, and the server forgets which order is mine(forgivable under certian circumstances)
    should not ever happen, when a server puts in a order they give you a seat number on the ticket that the kitchen gets. Even if your server does not bring you food the person who does should know who got what based on that number. Lazy server, you should be pissed.
    Hmm... a lot of places around here don't note/remember who gets which order, even nicer places. It's quite disappointing, though I haven't said anything yet. I think I will at least comment to the servers that they should know, and sometime before I leave point out to the management there's something amiss with their processes and expectations of their staff.
    I think you're all crazy. What's the big deal - is it that much hassle to remind the server who ordered what? Maybe it's the kind of places I eat (mostly small local joints), but I think you guys have unrealistic expectations of perfection.

A small local joint, I have no issues, but I'm finding that even at "nicer" places the servers don't seem to bother noting which order goes where. It's been getting this way over the course of the past 2 or 3 years. Wasn't like this before.

We've been eating out quite a bit more then usual the last 2 months. There have been very few occassions when a server has known/ remembered where a dish goes, and more times then not there are only two of us at the table.

I guess that would be sort of disappointing if you were on a fancy date and paying three digits... I'm happy as long as they refill the water, bring what was ordered (hot and without hair), don't try to rush us out after we've finished eating, and don't have an attitude.

I think the root of the problem is the customers. A lot of people have a lot of crazy ideas about what they 'deserve' from a dining experience. A friend of mine refuses to use an opened bottle of ketchup, for instance. If the bottle is less than completely full, he'll ask for a new one (even though he knows it's probably the same bottle they just refilled, it's one of his compulsions). Same thing for Delbert's extra cream - Delbert gets pissed if the server brings it, but someone else would get pissed if the server didn't bring it, even if they didn't order it.

I've heard people get pissed when the server asks if they should make change, and others pissed when the server doesn't ask... the list goes on & on. The problem is there's no generally accepted 'standard' behavior, but every diner has their own expectations, often based on personal idiosyncrasies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post

I know the place, do you work there?
    Nah. But it's one of our units. I refuse to go any further than the East River for the job.

I would like to go to your place before I leave, though. Got a link?

Dave
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    I think you're all crazy. What's the big deal - is it that much hassle to remind the server who ordered what? Maybe it's the kind of places I eat (mostly small local joints), but I think you guys have unrealistic expectations of perfection.
    Nope. Very realistic. Imagine yourself as the owner or chef (or both). You're counting on the waitstaff to be your personal representatives to the customer/client. They're the ones delivering a menu item that had a lot of hard r&d work invested in it. Pouring wine or beer that you chose to compliment the food. Communicating the vibe that your concept embodies. Wouldn't you want people on your staff that aren't going to negate that through sloppy, lazy or indifferent performance?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+1 on that, even minimum wage chains deal with that--ensuring that the behavior of the staff exceeds expectations, anticipates desires and communicates the concept. It's really something you should get from everyone at every good business--I doubt that any restaurant owner at any level would be ok with the idea that the people whose primary job is to bring food to people aren't able to remember who gets what. It'd be like having a guy at Lowe's lumber department that doesn't know what "hardwoods" are.

Which actually happened to me recently, and brings me to my next point.

I have very low standards for waitstaff--I just want them to leave me alone, first and foremost. I'm likely to tip a server well if I didn't get my own food, yet I have no idea who brought it to me. But I have noticed that the level of incompetent employees is skyrocketing over the past few years, and it is caused by high unemployment. It should create a situation where people want their jobs badly and employers can fire underperformers. But what really happens is that lots of people get corralled into jobs they hate, jobs below their paygrade/education, or jobs that they just are not suited to, and you get CPAs working at the Library, Camp Counselors working at Starbucks, and girls that should be hostesses working on the line.

Waitress with her hairs blown all over the place.
    Painted nails.
    And in some weird manner they seem to not accept the fact that waiting means selling. I wouldn't pay them half of what they get just for running.
    And my all time favorite:
    Waiters having no clue what the menu offers. Nicoise salad said to be NiKoiZ salad... But that i believe is just laziness and managers fault. If cannot motivate employees to hard work and right attitude, should go himself.
    The deifnition of restaurant is stating the place should have great food and waiting. Unless its bistro/trattoria or McDonalds mistakes/ drinks forgetting / stiff manner / and not remembering which plate belongs to who on two covers table is simply not allowed.
    Wouldnt leave a penny of tip

Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    At the place I am currently working we have a prix fix menu for certain hours, with a soup and a salad choices for app. I would ring in (either soup or salad) and then modify the ticket by typing the EXACT type of soup or salad that was mentioned (say caesar sal or potato soup) This almost always gets me called into the kitchen where the chef states "do you think I don't know what the F**K I am doing..." I pretend not to understand why he is upset, we rinse and repeat 10 minutes later...
    Maybe I am not understanding you, but for the prix fixe they have the choice of one soup (potato) and one salad (ceasar)? You then ring in a prix fixe salad, and then modify it to specify ceasar?