Quantcast
does size really matter - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: does size really matter

And from the opposite side of things...

I've got a 210. Home cook, cooking for 2. I'm actually looking at getting something a little shorter. Maybe it's my stumpy arms, maybe I need a good pair of bifocals, but it's a little long to be comfortable for tip work. I'm only slicing one big onion at a time, only a couple of potatoes. My counter space is negligible--I just don't have room for a big knife. The 210 doesn't get used as often as my other knives, and it's probably my favorite for holding an edge. I'm hoping to get a 180 soon to see how that works out.

How do you like the 8" shun? Does it feel perfect for you, or do you find yourself wishing you had a little more knife?

In my opinion, one very important difference is the weight. According to Williams Sonoma, the 8 inch Ken Onion Chef's knife is 9.5 ounces (assuming that's correct). The 240 Gesshin Ginga Wa Gyuto (stainless) is 130 grams or 4.5 ounces, less than half the weight of the Ken Onion. The 240 mm is going to feel like a feather in your hand, the 210 even moreso.

I would absolutely recommend being patient and buying the 240. You will be absolutely amazed at the difference in weight and the length won't be an issue.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    In my opinion, one very important difference is the weight. According to Williams Sonoma, the 8 inch Ken Onion Chef's knife is 9.5 ounces (assuming that's correct). The 240 Gesshin Ginga Wa Gyuto (stainless) is 130 grams or 4.5 ounces, less than half the weight of the Ken Onion. The 240 mm is going to feel like a feather in your hand, the 210 even moreso.

I would absolutely recommend being patient and buying the 240. You will be absolutely amazed at the difference in weight and the length won't be an issue.
    Agree, just wait for 240mm ask Jon how long or if you can't stand it any longer to wait he has a 270mm in stock Once feel the weight difference and how agile they are you will be a believer. Btw very good choice to go with Jon.

Thanks for everyone are input. I know I am just being inpatient, I wanted to order it tomorrow (the 240) while I have the funds. I love the feel of the Ken Onion but after reading and watching videos, it does not cut as well as the knives I have seen. I own 2 Kyocera ceramic knives (at California now being sharpened) and I love the lightness of them hence the move to the Gyuto. I did send an e-mail to john a few days ago about his sock level but I am sure he is busy so that’s why I posted the question here.Oh, and I want one NOW!!!!!!!!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Usually its the weight that makes the difference. You will notice that you wont mind the extra length.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRossy View Post
    Thanks for everyone are input. I know I am just being inpatient, I wanted to order it tomorrow (the 240) while I have the funds. I love the feel of the Ken Onion but after reading and watching videos, it does not cut as well as the knives I have seen. I own 2 Kyocera ceramic knives (at California now being sharpened) and I love the lightness of them hence the move to the Gyuto. I did send an e-mail to john a few days ago about his sock level but I am sure he is busy so that’s why I posted the question here.Oh, and I want one NOW!!!!!!!!
    I have a Kyocera my dirty little secret. I use it occasionally still easy to wipe of and put in the dishwasher
    Jon has a phone number on his web site. Quite sure he wouldn't mind the call and would be very friendly.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Jon has to sleep once in awhile; JKI is closed on Thursdays.

If I had a 210 and a 240 I'd lend them to you so you could see the difference but I sold my last 210 two weeks ago.

I could lend you a 240 so you could find out what one is like. PM me if you are interested.

Rick

I know this is getting out of hand but....what do you think of a 240mm Sujihiki or am I just grasping at straws. I would have concerns about knuckle clearance.

Another thing about the differences between the 210mm and 240mm knives beyond the length is the 240mm is also a larger knife. So you have greater blade height and an larger sweet spot on the edge for cutting.

+ Reply to Thread