does size really matter

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveRossy

Reaction score
:lol2: So, I want to order a Gesshin Ginga Gyuto from Jon tomorrow but the 240mm wa is out of stock but the 210 is in stock. I am currently using a Ken Onion Shun which is 8 inches. I would like to place an order an order Friday and was wondering if the 1" would make a difference. :wink:

It does a difference. A noticable one. How big a deal it is is personal

Depends on what you cut, how much of it you cut, and where you cut it. A 210 is plenty of knife for a home cook in a small kitchen on a little board. At work I use the biggest knife I can wield cuz I'm doing mire poix by the gallon.

not at home.

But maybe depends how big family you feed on regular basis?

It matters. It is personal and you need to test drive knives to find your own preference. I have a brand new misono ux10 with saya I will eventually put in B/S/T section that is 210mm Fortunately for me Pensacola Tiger very graciously sent me a 240mm and 270mm to test drive before I decided on length the a Rodrigue custom knife. I preferred the 270mm so much I bought it from him. Yet another act of kindness on his part. In the near future I will my custom 270mm and I know I will buy a 300mm as well. Wa vs western feel different too. I like the wa. Jon is a great guy and he won't steer you wrong.

I went from a 8" Wusthof chef's knife to a 210 Hiromoto gyuto, and felt the Hiro was too small. I picked up a 240 Hiro after that and was much happier. It helps to have a bigger cutting board as well, as it leaves you room to keep uncut and well as cut ingredients on the board and still give you working room.

If I were a home cook I'd get a 240. In work I use a 270. There's a massive difference between a 240 and a 210, and I don't see much of a downside with a 240, it is still a manageable size

yeah,,,people here mark that its so personal...how u know you are not 210 guy yourself?

Get one first, if you dont like it, sell it, buy another one.

Or ask someone here to borrow you one.

And from the opposite side of things...

I've got a 210. Home cook, cooking for 2. I'm actually looking at getting something a little shorter. Maybe it's my stumpy arms, maybe I need a good pair of bifocals, but it's a little long to be comfortable for tip work. I'm only slicing one big onion at a time, only a couple of potatoes. My counter space is negligible--I just don't have room for a big knife. The 210 doesn't get used as often as my other knives, and it's probably my favorite for holding an edge. I'm hoping to get a 180 soon to see how that works out.

How do you like the 8" shun? Does it feel perfect for you, or do you find yourself wishing you had a little more knife?

In my opinion, one very important difference is the weight. According to Williams Sonoma, the 8 inch Ken Onion Chef's knife is 9.5 ounces (assuming that's correct). The 240 Gesshin Ginga Wa Gyuto (stainless) is 130 grams or 4.5 ounces, less than half the weight of the Ken Onion. The 240 mm is going to feel like a feather in your hand, the 210 even moreso.

I would absolutely recommend being patient and buying the 240. You will be absolutely amazed at the difference in weight and the length won't be an issue.

In my opinion, one very important difference is the weight. According to Williams Sonoma, the 8 inch Ken Onion Chef's knife is 9.5 ounces (assuming that's correct). The 240 Gesshin Ginga Wa Gyuto (stainless) is 130 grams or 4.5 ounces, less than half the weight of the Ken Onion. The 240 mm is going to feel like a feather in your hand, the 210 even moreso.

I would absolutely recommend being patient and buying the 240. You will be absolutely amazed at the difference in weight and the length won't be an issue.

Agree, just wait for 240mm ask Jon how long or if you can't stand it any longer to wait he has a 270mm in stock :biggrin: Once feel the weight difference and how agile they are you will be a believer. Btw very good choice to go with Jon.

Thanks for everyone are input. I know I am just being inpatient, I wanted to order it tomorrow (the 240) while I have the funds. I love the feel of the Ken Onion but after reading and watching videos, it does not cut as well as the knives I have seen. I own 2 Kyocera ceramic knives (at California now being sharpened) and I love the lightness of them hence the move to the Gyuto. I did send an e-mail to john a few days ago about his sock level but I am sure he is busy so that’s why I posted the question here.Oh, and I want one NOW!!!!!!!!:lol2:

Usually its the weight that makes the difference. You will notice that you wont mind the extra length.

Thanks for everyone are input. I know I am just being inpatient, I wanted to order it tomorrow (the 240) while I have the funds. I love the feel of the Ken Onion but after reading and watching videos, it does not cut as well as the knives I have seen. I own 2 Kyocera ceramic knives (at California now being sharpened) and I love the lightness of them hence the move to the Gyuto. I did send an e-mail to john a few days ago about his sock level but I am sure he is busy so that’s why I posted the question here.Oh, and I want one NOW!!!!!!!!:lol2:

I have a Kyocera my dirty little secret. I use it occasionally still easy to wipe of and put in the dishwasher:bigeek:
Jon has a phone number on his web site. Quite sure he wouldn't mind the call and would be very friendly.

Jon has to sleep once in awhile; JKI is closed on Thursdays.

If I had a 210 and a 240 I'd lend them to you so you could see the difference but I sold my last 210 two weeks ago.

I could lend you a 240 so you could find out what one is like. PM me if you are interested.

Rick

I know this is getting out of hand but....what do you think of a 240mm Sujihiki or am I just grasping at straws. I would have concerns about knuckle clearance.

Another thing about the differences between the 210mm and 240mm knives beyond the length is the 240mm is also a larger knife. So you have greater blade height and an larger sweet spot on the edge for cutting.

If I had a 210 and a 240 I'd lend them to you so you could see the difference but I sold my last 210 two weeks ago.

I could lend you a 240 so you could find out what one is like. PM me if you are interested.

Rick

If you take him up on this pm me so I can lend you a 210mm gyuto at the same time.

You could do that. Or if you want to put up your general geographical location, you can probably meet up with someone and check out a bunch of stuff. There are some get togethers happening this summer. I believe one in TX, PA and SoCal.

Jon has to sleep once in awhile; JKI is closed on Thursdays.

Jon doesn't sleep, although the store is closed on Thursdays. I'd wait and talk to Jon. You never know: he might have spent the day picking up exactly what you want.

Thanks everyone for the guidance. If Jon says the Gesshin Ginga will be out of stock for a while then i'm going to choose between a Takayuki Grand Chef WA-Gyuto 240 or a Sakai Yusuke Swedish Stainless Steel 240. Thanks Pensacola Tiger and Deckhand for the offers, this is why I'm going to be a permanent fixture here and educate myself so I can offer the same great advice that I was give :doublethumbsup:

Oh, check out the konosuke HD or konosuke swedish stainless high hardness

DaveRossy, if you're in Canada, pm me. I have both sizes and then some.

Sorry..I'm in North carolina. Just spoke to Jon (what a nice guy). he said the GG should be in stock in a couple of weeks but gave me some other suggestions. Trying to make a decision if I should wait or go with one of his recomendations :whistling:

Sorry..I'm in North carolina. Just spoke to Jon (what a nice guy). he said the GG should be in stock in a couple of weeks but gave me some other suggestions. Trying to make a decision if I should wait or go with one of his recomendations :whistling:

Ah the mental torture:dazed:

Back