Quantcast
What is your go to knife: And what is your favorite one - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your go to knife: And what is your favorite one

270 Western Konosuke HD. Something that doesn't get said enough about the HD is the edge retention. It is really fantastic. The release on it isn't so good but the edge retention makes up for it

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Rodrigue 270 custom gyuto. As always.

Sakai yusuke 210 wa-gyuto sirogami ultra-thin 72grams. This thing is such an extension of my arm, it feels like a fingernail. HA

I hate this question. Right now, I'm using a Devin 250 gyuto in san mai with super wear resistant core but there are a bunch of knives that deserve mention here... I'm hoping I will be changing my tune to Gengetsu very soon. Rottman suji, Heiji 240 gyuto, 240 A type, Carter 240 SFGZ, I'm sure I'm missing some. I rotate through them because they get jealous and if I use just one, I might have to replace it before I die.

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    Unlike many people here, I'm new to high-end knives and don't have an entire quiver from to choose. Prior to getting my KS 270 gyuto my go-to was an 8-inch German slicer. But I can't say it was my favorite. Like many people with average-to-poor knives, they were just something I had to "put up with" in order to get kitchen tasks done.

For now I'll say the KS fulfills both roles, but my nakiri is fun to use and the cheap KAI bread knife is a pleasure as well. I have a couple of cheap "Japanese-style" knives that are likely Chinese, and they are only reserved for crappy chores like cutting up aged cheeses and parting other bulk foods.

I do have the re-handled Tojiro bread knife to look forward to, and a little bird tells me I may have a very good single-bevel on the way, so I will report again soon. Also might wind up in Japan again before summer's over. If my wife forgets to take my Amex away, I'll probably have something new in the stable in September.
    You could always get a Hattori KD while you are in Japan.

Probably 270 DT pm, followed closely by j.jones cleaver/small slicer, followed by 200 forgecraft.

This month it's a Carter 7.4 sun IP gyuto, matched up with a 3.7 sun IP paring knife.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Probably 270 DT pm, followed closely by j.jones cleaver/small slicer, followed by 200 forgecraft.
    The mini cleaver sounds like a lot of fun I have been doing shark circles around getting a warther cleaver.

my favorite and my go to are the same: Shigefusa kasumi 240mm gyuto with Keller handle.

going with my 9.5 in forgecraft as my go to and one of my favorites, my other one is an old 240 Hiromoto HC, I love them both.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.