Quantcast
What is your go to knife: And what is your favorite one
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your go to knife: And what is your favorite one

What is your go to knife: And what is your favorite one

I am posting this for opinions on favorites, and most used. I want to know why it is your favorite. What is it that makes it so special? For me, right now, my favorite is a 270 Konosuke HD. I only have 4 gyuto's, and this is my go to knife. The balance on it is great, the edge on it is fantastic, and it seems to be a natural extension of me. This might change down the road as my collection expands, but i love this knife. Ok, your turn

I would write something but that is just asking for trouble because I don't have pictures

Stefan

In terms of frequency of use, my Takeda 165 nakiri would be my "go to" knife. Not my most versatile knife, but it's the one I use most often for the most volume of stuff. Next in line would still be a nakiri, my Shig 165 (or is it 180?) nakiri.

I'll bet you didn't expect nakiri to appear in this thread
    Len

Actually i am excited to see a nakiri I know almost everyone uses primarily gyuto's.

Sakai yusuke wa gyuto stainless 270mm is my go to knife. It was my first knife to feel like a natural extension where the skies parted and it would always do exactly what I asked. Pensacola tiger let me buy it when I was test driving knives for a custom gyuto to get the length right.
    Kanasaki deba is my favorite. I still thank my lucky stars for getting that from Bishamon. All my king crab is effortless to eat now.

much more awesomer
    Unlike many people here, I'm new to high-end knives and don't have an entire quiver from to choose. Prior to getting my KS 270 gyuto my go-to was an 8-inch German slicer. But I can't say it was my favorite. Like many people with average-to-poor knives, they were just something I had to "put up with" in order to get kitchen tasks done.

For now I'll say the KS fulfills both roles, but my nakiri is fun to use and the cheap KAI bread knife is a pleasure as well. I have a couple of cheap "Japanese-style" knives that are likely Chinese, and they are only reserved for crappy chores like cutting up aged cheeses and parting other bulk foods.

I do have the re-handled Tojiro bread knife to look forward to, and a little bird tells me I may have a very good single-bevel on the way, so I will report again soon. Also might wind up in Japan again before summer's over. If my wife forgets to take my Amex away, I'll probably have something new in the stable in September.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I'd say my DT ITK AEB-L 240 gyuto. I don't feel like I need to baby it, and it's the one I use when we have company over and I may have to run off to another room before I can properly clean the knife. I don't always use a gyuto, but when I do, 50% of the time I reach for the DT ITK. The other 50% is split between a DT mystery carbon, a Fowler cable damascus and a Dave M-tuned/ rehandled Hiromoto.

My other go-to is my DT ITK 52100 150 petty. That knife sees ~50% of my petty tasks.

much more awesomer
    Lucky.

/NapoleonDynamite
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

My go to knife was a 270 TKC gyuto. But now, it is more like the 240 Moritaka western kiritsuke. It is actually between the kiritsuke and the suien vg cleaver.

At the moment my 270mm Kono fujiyama gyuto