What is your go to knife: And what is your favorite one

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I am posting this for opinions on favorites, and most used. I want to know why it is your favorite. What is it that makes it so special? For me, right now, my favorite is a 270 Konosuke HD. I only have 4 gyuto's, and this is my go to knife. The balance on it is great, the edge on it is fantastic, and it seems to be a natural extension of me. This might change down the road as my collection expands, but i love this knife. Ok, your turn :)

I would write something but that is just asking for trouble because I don't have pictures ;)

Stefan

In terms of frequency of use, my Takeda 165 nakiri would be my "go to" knife. Not my most versatile knife, but it's the one I use most often for the most volume of stuff. Next in line would still be a nakiri, my Shig 165 (or is it 180?) nakiri.

I'll bet you didn't expect nakiri to appear in this thread :)

Actually i am excited to see a nakiri:) I know almost everyone uses primarily gyuto's.

Sakai yusuke wa gyuto stainless 270mm is my go to knife. It was my first knife to feel like a natural extension where the skies parted and it would always do exactly what I asked. Pensacola tiger let me buy it when I was test driving knives for a custom gyuto to get the length right.
Kanasaki deba is my favorite. I still thank my lucky stars for getting that from Bishamon. All my king crab is effortless to eat now.

Unlike many people here, I'm new to high-end knives and don't have an entire quiver from to choose. Prior to getting my KS 270 gyuto my go-to was an 8-inch German slicer. But I can't say it was my favorite. Like many people with average-to-poor knives, they were just something I had to "put up with" in order to get kitchen tasks done.

For now I'll say the KS fulfills both roles, but my nakiri is fun to use and the cheap KAI bread knife is a pleasure as well. I have a couple of cheap "Japanese-style" knives that are likely Chinese, and they are only reserved for crappy chores like cutting up aged cheeses and parting other bulk foods.

I do have the re-handled Tojiro bread knife to look forward to, and a little bird tells me I may have a very good single-bevel on the way, so I will report again soon. Also might wind up in Japan again before summer's over. If my wife forgets to take my Amex away, I'll probably have something new in the stable in September.

I'd say my DT ITK AEB-L 240 gyuto. I don't feel like I need to baby it, and it's the one I use when we have company over and I may have to run off to another room before I can properly clean the knife. I don't always use a gyuto, but when I do, 50% of the time I reach for the DT ITK. The other 50% is split between a DT mystery carbon, a Fowler cable damascus and a Dave M-tuned/ rehandled Hiromoto.

My other go-to is my DT ITK 52100 150 petty. That knife sees ~50% of my petty tasks.

My go to knife was a 270 TKC gyuto. But now, it is more like the 240 Moritaka western kiritsuke. It is actually between the kiritsuke and the suien vg cleaver.

270 Western Konosuke HD. Something that doesn't get said enough about the HD is the edge retention. It is really fantastic. The release on it isn't so good but the edge retention makes up for it

I hate this question. Right now, I'm using a Devin 250 gyuto in san mai with super wear resistant core but there are a bunch of knives that deserve mention here... I'm hoping I will be changing my tune to Gengetsu very soon. Rottman suji, Heiji 240 gyuto, 240 A type, Carter 240 SFGZ, I'm sure I'm missing some. I rotate through them because they get jealous and if I use just one, I might have to replace it before I die.

Unlike many people here, I'm new to high-end knives and don't have an entire quiver from to choose. Prior to getting my KS 270 gyuto my go-to was an 8-inch German slicer. But I can't say it was my favorite. Like many people with average-to-poor knives, they were just something I had to "put up with" in order to get kitchen tasks done.

For now I'll say the KS fulfills both roles, but my nakiri is fun to use and the cheap KAI bread knife is a pleasure as well. I have a couple of cheap "Japanese-style" knives that are likely Chinese, and they are only reserved for crappy chores like cutting up aged cheeses and parting other bulk foods.

I do have the re-handled Tojiro bread knife to look forward to, and a little bird tells me I may have a very good single-bevel on the way, so I will report again soon. Also might wind up in Japan again before summer's over. If my wife forgets to take my Amex away, I'll probably have something new in the stable in September.

You could always get a Hattori KD while you are in Japan.:biggrin:

Probably 270 DT pm, followed closely by j.jones cleaver/small slicer, followed by 200 forgecraft.

This month it's a Carter 7.4 sun IP gyuto, matched up with a 3.7 sun IP paring knife.

7c0cb0fd.jpg

Probably 270 DT pm, followed closely by j.jones cleaver/small slicer, followed by 200 forgecraft.
The mini cleaver sounds like a lot of fun I have been doing shark circles around getting a warther cleaver.

my favorite and my go to are the same: Shigefusa kasumi 240mm gyuto with Keller handle.

going with my 9.5 in forgecraft as my go to and one of my favorites, my other one is an old 240 Hiromoto HC, I love them both.

I love that little Carter IP paring knife, that is pure decadence...

I most often still reach for one of my first ones, a Hiromoto AS 240. It has a handle made by Fish and I wanted it shaped like a Nenox hamdle, so it feels really comfortable. Still one of my favorite ones also, although I do admit to liking my Carter 6.3 sun funayuki with rosewood and ivory handle.

Stefan

My go-to seems to be my Misono Moly 210 gyuto. My favorite is my Rodrigue Pettysuki. I'd say it sees about 30% of my tasks, while the Misono sees 40%. The other 30% is split amongst my Carters or Swede and parer.
Strange...my two most used knives are stainless, but I thought of myself as a carbon guy.

For me, toughness and durability/ease of use are tops right now. I guess that's why the two "number ones" are what they are. When I want carbon, I instinctively reach for my Carter suji.

I usually have my Gesshin Ginga shironi 270 gyuto and either usuba or kiritsuke in reach. I much prefer using single bevel, but need the versatility of the gyuto.

Go to knife: Suisin 240 gyuto
Favorite knife (knives, actually)- Carter SGGZ 7.8 sun gyuto (Rottman handle) and Heiji 150mm semi stainless petty

Good stuff guys! I guess this is as much a demographic as anything. I find it funny that some are posting that their go to and favorites are not necessarily the same knife. I am hoping to add the Gengetsu soon...That might just replace the Kono :D

Well, you don't want to waste your favorites. Plus, as you use 'em, you're gonna have to change the geometry as you go along. Once you sharpen a knife maybe 10 times, it's a different knife, completely. It's sad, really...

Good stuff guys! I guess this is as much a demographic as anything. I find it funny that some are posting that their go to and favorites are not necessarily the same knife. I am hoping to add the Gengetsu soon...That might just replace the Kono :D

Unfortunately, I don't eat king crab daily. Often, but not daily:sad0:

My go to and favorite are the same: Mario 240 Wa Gyuto.

Back