Quantcast
can I get anything OK for ~$100? (for sushi) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can I get anything OK for ~$100? (for sushi)

how about the yamawaku v2 yanagi? it's sold on ebay

For home use I think, its perfectly fine to use stones cheaper singlebevels, just concentrate on technique. a lot of people working in Sushi restaurants use some crappy knives but they get by at acceptable levels

much more awesomer
    @Poutine_boy: Where do you find sashimi-grade fish here? I'm not sure where Miyamoto gets theirs, possibly United?
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I use a cheap Kanehisa for cutting sashimi, skinning, etc. I love it. I would choose it over any gyuto I own.

As a beginner, get an inexpensive yanagiba. Sharpening a single bevel knife is very different than a double bevel; if you mess it up, it's not going to be as costly of a mistake.

I second that comment about the lacquered handle. I would try and get a plain handle instead; because you're cutting a lot of fish, your handle will get wet and that lacquer will come off eventually.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I use a cheap Kanehisa for cutting sashimi, skinning, etc. I love it. I would choose it over any gyuto I own.

As a beginner, get an inexpensive yanagiba. Sharpening a single bevel knife is very different than a double bevel; if you mess it up, it's not going to be as costly of a mistake.

I second that comment about the lacquered handle. I would try and get a plain handle instead; because you're cutting a lot of fish, your handle will get wet and that lacquer will come off eventually.
    yanagi handle should not really be getting wet at all. My deba also pretty much doesn't get very wet either, but I never filleted under running water as I've seen in a lot of videos.