Quantcast
Making my 1st magnetic knife rack - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making my 1st magnetic knife rack

It will be strong enough with rare earth magnets. Beautiful piece of wood. I bet you could generate a lot of business with these if you were ever inclined. I for one would get in line providing magnets were countersunk, but didn't go all the way through just having wood facing out.

You will get a better hold if you add another row of magnets above or below the row you have installed now.

You could add another row and have a darker thin burl inlay over the top. Love the wood and the shape you chose.

are you planning on having the magnets facing out, or against the wall. If against the wall you can easily add another row.

I found a double row of 10mm by 5mm magnets countersunk by 1mm holds most knives up to 240. For mighty 240s, single bevels and above 240 a triple row holds. I can't remember the magnet grade I used, off the top of my head n42 but I'll check if it's useful. With the tools I had I found it easier to drill through from the face of the board and then fill the countersink with a sliver of dowel from a contrasting timber.

Fingers crossed that yours is saveable if it doesn't work as the current iteration as it's looking really good

Impressive. Thanks for sharing, gives me some inspiration as well

That looks really cool!!!

Well, that's just beautiful. Hope it works out.

If it doesn't hold, you can add more magnets and you can also sand the other side down (as long as it doesn't stick to your sander, lol) and then mount it on something to give it some support.

So what happened? Update?