Quantcast
Sakai Yusuke White Steel Gyuto on Ebay? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sakai Yusuke White Steel Gyuto on Ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by jayhay View Post
    Looks like a great knife. I was considering that one too, but I thought it might be almost too thin for your go-to knife in a pro kitchen. I might be wrong, but I'm a little heavy handed, and a bit more mass might be wise for me.
    IMO, that knife is too thin for an all-around gyuto. To me it seems more useful for thin precise slicing tasks. The Yusuke's are already quite thin.

My biggest criticisms of late are that they are too light, too flexible, and too flat-ground due to being so thin. I'd prefer a Yusuke gyuto with a little thicker spine to give it more convex face and a little more weight. My 270 gyuto has been my most used knife for over a year now, and I feel I've come to know it well. Don't get me wrong - it's awesome and I love it, and when I grind it down to a 260-ish suji, I'll get another one. It's just that in using other knives, my eyes are opening up to other possibilities for what a knife can be besides a laser... just get one, you won't regret it!!!
    Shibui - simplicity devoid of unnecessary elements

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    IMO, that knife is too thin for an all-around gyuto. To me it seems more useful for thin precise slicing tasks. The Yusuke's are already quite thin.

My biggest criticisms of late are that they are too light, too flexible, and too flat-ground due to being so thin. I'd prefer a Yusuke gyuto with a little thicker spine to give it more convex face and a little more weight. My 270 gyuto has been my most used knife for over a year now, and I feel I've come to know it well. Don't get me wrong - it's awesome and I love it, and when I grind it down to a 260-ish suji, I'll get another one. It's just that in using other knives, my eyes are opening up to other possibilities for what a knife can be besides a laser... just get one, you won't regret it!!!
    Yeah, I think I'm going to stay away from the special thins. They look like great blades, I just don't want the flex. I'll repost when I buy either the blue #2 Takayuki or the white #2 Yusuke with my observations.

Thanks again!

... Maybe I should buy the blue steel...
    Here's another thought - check out Yoshihiro Cutlery's store on ebay. They are offering a blue mono steel gyuto for $300. I asked here about it before, but no one had any expereince with it. F&F in the pics looks good, but it's hard to tell what the grind is like. General consensus was that it look kinda chubby and doesn't have much taper f/ heel to tip along the spine. No one really knows until they purchase one, so maybe you should be the guy to do it!

Here's another thought - check out Yoshihiro Cutlery's store on ebay. They are offering a blue mono steel gyuto for $300. I asked here about it before, but no one had any expereince with it. F&F in the pics looks good, but it's hard to tell what the grind is like. General consensus was that it look kinda chubby and doesn't have much taper f/ heel to tip along the spine. No one really knows until they purchase one, so maybe you should be the guy to do it!
    I remember that. I kinda want one all over again. I wonder if it's blue 1, 2 or super...

Looks like a great knife. But 270 is too long for my application. I really can't go larger. I work in the smallest kitchen you've seen, and as much as I would like a bit of extra length. I just can't do it. I wish I could afford to buy two. The one I want and the one I need. I'm trying to balance and is damned near impossible, 'cause I want me more blue steel!

i asked about that knife a couple monthes ago...It blue 1. Infact, its "entirely made of blue 1". somebody needs to purchase it! too many window shoppers here! If youre after blue 2 aframestokyo has that nice looking Monzaburo gyuto with the end cap wa handle for about the same price.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I remember that. I kinda want one all over again. I wonder if it's blue 1, 2 or super...
    The same picture from last time still kills it for me, spine shot of the mono blue steel:

Where are you, distal taper?

I've been working with the special thin blade for about a month now and its still exciting to use. As many have rightly pointed out, it is not a robust instrument, nor is it high- maintenancey delicate either. I've been comparing performance with the 210 Kono HD petty. The Kono does give inspire more confidence and feels more powerful. On the other hand, for a home chef that is not rushed nor has to mow down a bushel of butternut squash, the special thin has a delicate but razor like response to hand pressure on carrots, apples, onions, potatoes, beets, celery partictually good at shaving garlic to near transparent levels. On crisp apples tonight the thin cut cleaner and easier than the Kono. Both have great profiles but you can really feel the food being cut because the thin is so light. The only ding I have for the Yusuke is the Kanji is not etched while the HD is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    ... The only ding I have for the Yusuke is the Kanji is not etched while the HD is.
    +1 to that

But I'm willing to pay, whatever less - $20, $30, $40? to not have etched kanji. IIRC, BWJ can do custom engraving...

Mucho did a review of a 210mm special thin,

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...a-Gyuto-Review

Looks like a great knife. I was considering that one too, but I thought it might be almost too thin for your go-to knife in a pro kitchen. I might be wrong, but I'm a little heavy handed, and a bit more mass might be wise for me.
    I have used carbons in banquet Kit. many years used both Blue & white steels.For edge reten. my Takagi Honyaki #1 blue 240 is the best.It is kind of a beast convex grind excellent HT all day workhorse drop nose gyuto.Alot of very nice thin Gyuto on this thread.For most jobs thin Gyuto are superior cutters.As long as you care for your blade(As you should wt. any good knife)there is less resistance going through food.I also have the Konosuki white steel 240 it's a thin one great for all kinds of jobs from tomato's to peeling pineapples.If you have never had a thin gyuto,get one don't worry about how fragle it is.Those lazors work so well it is your job & you will treat it well