Sakai Yusuke White Steel Gyuto on Ebay?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a gyuto, but a 210 petty and it is awesome. The Sakai Yusuke line is one of the best value ones out there. Fit and finish on them is perfect, good thin convex grind. I've bought quite a lot of stuff from Keiichi who runs BluewayJapan and he is great

The knife in question in this thread is the ultra-thin one, but a lot of people give their general thoughts on the Yusukes so hopefully it helps. This one

Welcome to KKF!!!
I have a Yusuke wa in 240 and it is a great knife. Mine is SS but it is still very thin and cuts quite well. Another knife you might want to consider is this
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...pe/gyuto/suisin-inox-western-210mm-gyuto.html
Not sure if you are 100% sold on carbon, but i think the Suisin is SS...please do not hold me to that lol

Wow, thanks so much for the quick replies! I already have plenty of SS knives, which is why I want a good carbon knife, one that will get all ugly, or pretty :)

I was also considering the,

Masamoto Hc 210 Gyuto
Tanaka 210 Blue #2 Wa-Gyuto
Sakai Takayuki 210 Blue #2 Gyuto
Konosuke HD 210 Gyuto Western handle - I know, not fully carbon, but I always hear great things

I've heard of F&F issues on the Tanaka, but I'd roll the dice if worth it. Thanks again all!

you can get the konosuke in white#2. Also great reviews on that. I only tried the HD line but would like to try a white one also someday.

you can get the konosuke in white#2. Also great reviews on that. I only tried the HD line but would like to try a white one also someday.

Looks like a great knife and I considered it. The only reason I'm leaning away is because I can only find it in a 240mm. I work in a shoebox kitchen with way to many people in it. So a 210mm gyuto is about the largest I can go.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't have a gyuto, but a 210 petty and it is awesome. The Sakai Yusuke line is one of the best value ones out there. Fit and finish on them is perfect, good thin convex grind. I've bought quite a lot of stuff from Keiichi who runs BluewayJapan and he is great

The knife in question in this thread is the ultra-thin one, but a lot of people give their general thoughts on the Yusukes so hopefully it helps. This one

This.

I'd stick with the S. Yusuke. The Tanaka is a very nice cutter with better edge retention than anything in white steel but the grind is pretty uneven and feels a little wonky as it's going through sometimes.

I have the ultra thin and like it very much! It is quite flexible though so its not suited for every task, I wouldn't want it as my only guyto - then I would get the regular version (which is also very thin).

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think it's gonna be the Sakai Yusuki or the Takayuki Blue #2.

I jsut wish I could find someone with first hand experience with it. For some reason, I just love blue steel and was secretly hoping ya'll would tell me to jump on it :)

Yusuke is the best value out there - and besides that, they are one of the best knives out there of it's category. You can't go wrong with them, and Keiichi is great to deal with - very friendly, helpful and responsive.

Or call Jon @ JKI - he's got a great selection and vast knowledge - he can certainly set yo up with something to fit yoru needs.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think it's gonna be the Sakai Yusuki or the Takayuki Blue #2.

I jsut wish I could find someone with first hand experience with it. For some reason, I just love blue steel and was secretly hoping ya'll would tell me to jump on it :)

I don't know anything about that Takayuki - I've seen it listed and have been wonder about it too, mainly because it's blue steel.

I have 3 Yusuke's - a 300 suji, 270 gyuto, and 210 suji/petty. All are simply awesome, for what they are - mono-steel, bar stock white #2. Flawless fit and finish; great geometry, grind and taper; sharpen easily, take a great edge, but rentention is not the best compared to other super-duper steels.

Welcome! Yes, I absolutely love mine. It's my go to knife. I have the 270mm in stainless with wa octagon handle.

I don't know anything about that Takayuki - I've seen it listed and have been wonder about it too, mainly because it's blue steel.

I have 3 Yusuke's - a 300 suji, 270 gyuto, and 210 suji/petty. All are simply awesome, for what they are - mono-steel, bar stock white #2. Flawless fit and finish; great geometry, grind and taper; sharpen easily, take a great edge, but rentention is not the best compared to other super-duper steels.

Jay, Many of us that have invested thousands and thousands in kitchen knives agree that you can spend more but getting a Yusuke from Keiichi (BlueWay) is hard to beat for the $.

Thanks for the post. Maybe I should buy the blue steel, so I can be the guy who owns one and convinces others to buy one too :) But realisticily, everyone loves their Yusuke's, so I should probably listen up. I used my knife professionally and edge retention is something important to me. I emailed Keiichi about the Takayuki's hardness and he said it was 63 HRC.

This may sound lame, but the only blue steel I have is a Kansui Dojo Nakiri that I bought from Japanese Woodworker a few years back thinking I would try a cheap-something-new. And I love it. It's my go-to knife most of the time. It's sharper than hell, hold it's edge practically forever and is easy to resharpen. I mean, it's almost maintenance free and stays razor sharp with daily use in a pro kitchen. I've always wanted to buy better carbon knives, but when I bought that knife a few years ago, I also bought a house in Detroit. But that's another story and lets just say, I didn't have too much extra cash at that point.

Anyways, the Dojo has a blue steel core, whether blue #1 or super blue, different sites have different specs. And, I guess my love for that knife makes me want to try a better blue, for a lack of a better term. It's razor sharp edge retention is what I love most about the knife.

Welcome! Yes, I absolutely love mine. It's my go to knife. I have the 270mm in stainless with wa octagon handle.

Hey, thanks!

Btw all, this has got to be the friendliest forum around. Good work.

Jay, Many of us that have invested thousands and thousands in kitchen knives agree that you can spend more but getting a Yusuke from Keiichi (BlueWay) is hard to beat for the $.

Thanks Mucho.

I've spent thousands on knives too, just on the wrong knives. In my earlier days I bought Germans not knowing much better. After a few years of culinary school it was Globals and silly Kyocera ceramics. What was I thinking with the Kyoceras? Honestly, I haven't cut a thing with it in years. Then onto macs and VG-10 knives, which after owing for many years and using countless co-workers vg-series steels, I can say I don't really care for the feel.

I guess I just learn the hard way, making many wrong-fit buys along the way. But exposure is everything and I'm glad I've owned everything I have had over the years. I think I'll go for the Yusuke in the end, since it's clearly the price/performance favorite.

Jay, Look up the review I did recently on my Yusuke special thin on this forum. Also note that in a post from yesterday titles "whats your go-to knife" started my Dave Martell, several others mentioned White #1 Yusuke as their favorite too. Its simply astonishing light, excellent fit and finish, good price and quick shipping. What are you waiting for ;)

Mucho did a review of a 210mm special thin,

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/5885-Sakai-Yusuke-210-Wa-Gyuto-Review

Looks like a great knife. I was considering that one too, but I thought it might be almost too thin for your go-to knife in a pro kitchen. I might be wrong, but I'm a little heavy handed, and a bit more mass might be wise for me.

Looks like a great knife. I was considering that one too, but I thought it might be almost too thin for your go-to knife in a pro kitchen. I might be wrong, but I'm a little heavy handed, and a bit more mass might be wise for me.

IMO, that knife is too thin for an all-around gyuto. To me it seems more useful for thin precise slicing tasks. The Yusuke's are already quite thin.

My biggest criticisms of late are that they are too light, too flexible, and too flat-ground due to being so thin. I'd prefer a Yusuke gyuto with a little thicker spine to give it more convex face and a little more weight. My 270 gyuto has been my most used knife for over a year now, and I feel I've come to know it well. Don't get me wrong - it's awesome and I love it, and when I grind it down to a 260-ish suji, I'll get another one. It's just that in using other knives, my eyes are opening up to other possibilities for what a knife can be besides a laser... just get one, you won't regret it!!!

IMO, that knife is too thin for an all-around gyuto. To me it seems more useful for thin precise slicing tasks. The Yusuke's are already quite thin.

My biggest criticisms of late are that they are too light, too flexible, and too flat-ground due to being so thin. I'd prefer a Yusuke gyuto with a little thicker spine to give it more convex face and a little more weight. My 270 gyuto has been my most used knife for over a year now, and I feel I've come to know it well. Don't get me wrong - it's awesome and I love it, and when I grind it down to a 260-ish suji, I'll get another one. It's just that in using other knives, my eyes are opening up to other possibilities for what a knife can be besides a laser... just get one, you won't regret it!!!

Yeah, I think I'm going to stay away from the special thins. They look like great blades, I just don't want the flex. I'll repost when I buy either the blue #2 Takayuki or the white #2 Yusuke with my observations.

Thanks again!

... Maybe I should buy the blue steel...

Here's another thought - check out Yoshihiro Cutlery's store on ebay. They are offering a blue mono steel gyuto for $300. I asked here about it before, but no one had any expereince with it. F&F in the pics looks good, but it's hard to tell what the grind is like. General consensus was that it look kinda chubby and doesn't have much taper f/ heel to tip along the spine. No one really knows until they purchase one, so maybe you should be the guy to do it! :razz:

Here's another thought - check out Yoshihiro Cutlery's store on ebay. They are offering a blue mono steel gyuto for $300. I asked here about it before, but no one had any expereince with it. F&F in the pics looks good, but it's hard to tell what the grind is like. General consensus was that it look kinda chubby and doesn't have much taper f/ heel to tip along the spine. No one really knows until they purchase one, so maybe you should be the guy to do it! :razz:
I remember that. I kinda want one all over again. I wonder if it's blue 1, 2 or super...

Looks like a great knife. But 270 is too long for my application. I really can't go larger. I work in the smallest kitchen you've seen, and as much as I would like a bit of extra length. I just can't do it. I wish I could afford to buy two. The one I want and the one I need. I'm trying to balance and is damned near impossible, 'cause I want me more blue steel!

i asked about that knife a couple monthes ago...It blue 1. Infact, its "entirely made of blue 1". somebody needs to purchase it! too many window shoppers here! If youre after blue 2 aframestokyo has that nice looking Monzaburo gyuto with the end cap wa handle for about the same price.

I remember that. I kinda want one all over again. I wonder if it's blue 1, 2 or super...

The same picture from last time still kills it for me, spine shot of the mono blue steel:
HAWG27BL-4.jpg

Where are you, distal taper?

I've been working with the special thin blade for about a month now and its still exciting to use. As many have rightly pointed out, it is not a robust instrument, nor is it high- maintenancey delicate either. I've been comparing performance with the 210 Kono HD petty. The Kono does give inspire more confidence and feels more powerful. On the other hand, for a home chef that is not rushed nor has to mow down a bushel of butternut squash, the special thin has a delicate but razor like response to hand pressure on carrots, apples, onions, potatoes, beets, celery partictually good at shaving garlic to near transparent levels. On crisp apples tonight the thin cut cleaner and easier than the Kono. Both have great profiles but you can really feel the food being cut because the thin is so light. The only ding I have for the Yusuke is the Kanji is not etched while the HD is.

... The only ding I have for the Yusuke is the Kanji is not etched while the HD is.

+1 to that

But I'm willing to pay, whatever less - $20, $30, $40? to not have etched kanji. IIRC, BWJ can do custom engraving...

Mucho did a review of a 210mm special thin,

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/5885-Sakai-Yusuke-210-Wa-Gyuto-Review

I have used carbons in banquet Kit. many years used both Blue & white steels.For edge reten. my Takagi Honyaki #1 blue 240 is the best.It is kind of a beast convex grind excellent HT all day workhorse drop nose gyuto.Alot of very nice thin Gyuto on this thread.For most jobs thin Gyuto are superior cutters.As long as you care for your blade(As you should wt. any good knife)there is less resistance going through food.I also have the Konosuki white steel 240 it's a thin one great for all kinds of jobs from tomato's to peeling pineapples.If you have never had a thin gyuto,get one don't worry about how fragle it is.Those lazors work so well it is your job & you will treat it well

Back