Need some opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I am making a 270 gyuto in damascus clad san mai. I have some awesome wood and am having an issue picking one. Here is the blade.
2012-05-17_15-29-43_117.jpg

ok here are what i have narrowed down for handle woods, Mark's best ugly koa, Mark's 2 tone amboyna or spalted maple.thinking maybe a musk ox or ivory ferrule...
2012-05-18_13-32-40_291.jpg

What do you guys think? I personally cannot wait to tear into that koa.....

I like the amboyna, with the light side down. It continues the effect of the san mai.

If musk ox ferrule, remember that it will adapt the color of the wood beneath. If you do your Ferrules like marko and harald. )

md.jpg

If the musk ox ferrule I would use a stainless spacer.
Just my 2 cents.
It will look great whatever you do.

I agree 100% with both Lucretia and Mark.
Nice blade, by the way.

Ok thanks guys :D Amboyna it is. I have had that piece for about a year, had it spoken for, then they backed out. Using it now...And for that, i think i will go blackwood ferrule.

I love the Amboyna, and I think the blackwood will look great with it! Though there is a part of me that loves the combination of Amboyna and a dark piece of Ironwood.

I think I remember that exact piece of Amboyna when Mr. Farley had it for sale. Loved it then and now. Use it!

Back