As far as grills/bbq's go...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this? I have seen lots of talk about the Big green egg, but I have never seen one. I saw this today...

IMG-20120518-00028.jpg

Just another variation of the BGE. There are lots out there, at many different price ranges. IMO, the difference is the quality of materials used, and the customer support. I think you can go cheaper than a BGE if you are a do it yourselfer, I preferred the piece of mind. BTW, the Primo is an awesome kamado grill too, I wouldn't mind having one.

I have a big green egg mini I use almost daily and one day last week three times in same day. I love it. Lots of accessories and support for eggs. I am getting an xl big green egg in the next two months. I spend some time on the egg forums. I am a believer and drank the big green egg koolaid.

I have two Big Green Eggs (large and mini). They are used at least weekly and usually 2-3 times a week. I highly reccomend them. I have heard good things about Primo, but purchased BGE's because there was a local dealer. They are expensive, but well worth it.

At $900 you might as well get a large BGE, a Primos (oval or round) or if you live in the SE US you might want to look at Grill Dome.

Dave

Yeah, the ones "on sale" at Crappy Tire are quite poorly made, Chinese kamado knock-offs. Typical OMC. I have no idea about the casting material, but if you're going to spend that kind of coin on a metal grill (the Broil King is a Bubba clone) you might as well just get a Weber. The Broil King's accessories are really flimsy, stamped chromed steel and plastic. If you're looking for a kamado, get one in ceramic or refractory material. Heavy, but that's the whole point.

For that price pass and get an Egg. You will not regret it!

At $900 you might as well get a large BGE, a Primos (oval or round) or if you live in the SE US you might want to look at Grill Dome.

Dave

Pierre lives out in the middle of the Great Plains of Canada, where it's three hours east or west to a city of any size. BGE are the kings of the ceramic cookers, but unless your into long, slow cooking big time, they're over kill. It's like having a Ferrari as your daily driver. For regular grilling a Weber Kettle Grill will last you a couple of decades if not longer. Weber Smoky Mountain Grill works really well for smoking at a fraction of the price of a BGE. Where the BGE would excel is when it's cold outside the ceramic construction will keep everything nice and toasty where with the SMG you'll have a hard time regulating the temperature.

Pierre lives out in the middle of the Great Plains of Canada, where it's three hours east or west to a city of any size. BGE are the kings of the ceramic cookers, but unless your into long, slow cooking big time, they're over kill. It's like having a Ferrari as your daily driver. For regular grilling a Weber Kettle Grill will last you a couple of decades if not longer. Weber Smoky Mountain Grill works really well for smoking at a fraction of the price of a BGE. Where the BGE would excel is when it's cold outside the ceramic construction will keep everything nice and toasty where with the SMG you'll have a hard time regulating the temperature.

I say more like a hummer as a daily driver :)

Yep, can't trust those Canadian's with plastic $50 and $100 bills that smell like maple syrup. Seriously though his knives are Ferraris. No matter where people live nice things are nice. In regards to low and slow most people would like to cook, ribs and brisket, etc. Also nice to get a high temp and do a pizza. Lots of Canadians on the big green egg forum and they love them. Living away from things would make it that much nicer to have and enjoy.

Back