Quantcast
Nagura Stone alternative - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nagura Stone alternative

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRossy View Post
    magic marker trick
    You put sharpie (or magic marker) on your knife near the edge. When you sharpen the part of the knife you are hitting with the stone will not have any marker left on it. It is a nice visual representation of where you're hitting and where you aren't.

magic marker trick
    Marker Trick

magic marker trick
    I hope I can explain it, so if you have questions, ask for clarification.

Use a magic marker to color the edge and a little up from it, maybe an eighth of an inch. Take a stroke or two on your stone, then examine the edge with a good 10x loupe. You should be able to clearly see where the magic marker ahs been removed. That's where you are grinding and removing metal. If you see any marker left at the edge, and you are trying to match the original edge angle, then you are sharpening at an angle that is too small (shallow) . If you are removing the marker right to the edge (you don't see a line), then you are sharpening at an angle equal to or larger (steeper) than the original, and that you sharpening right to the edge, which is what you want. Pay attention to the entire edge, especially near the tip.

When you are thinning behind the edge, you want to be at a shallower angle, so as long as you see marker at the edge, you know that you have more steel to remove.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I hope I can explain it, so if you have questions, ask for clarification.

Use a magic marker to color the edge and a little up from it, maybe an eighth of an inch. Take a stroke or two on your stone, then examine the edge with a good 10x loupe. You should be able to clearly see where the magic marker ahs been removed. That's where you are grinding and removing metal. If you see any marker left at the edge, and you are trying to match the original edge angle, then you are sharpening at an angle that is too small (shallow) . If you are removing the marker right to the edge (you don't see a line), then you are sharpening at an angle equal to or larger (steeper) than the original, and that you sharpening right to the edge, which is what you want. Pay attention to the entire edge, especially near the tip.

When you are thinning behind the edge, you want to be at a shallower angle, so as long as you see marker at the edge, you know that you have more steel to remove.

Rick
    Looks like you're covered. As others have said, we all had to learn from someone. Let us know how it goes. As for the diamond plate. It's expensive but it's still the best way to go, imo.

As the Globals come with a convexed edge they may use a lot of thinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    As the Globals come with a convexed edge they may use a lot of thinning.
    +1. Those that I've seen have been a bit thick near the edge.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Globals are good on having the convex work into the bevel. I just followed the line to the bevel when I was honing (did this before I got any stones), and it will follow the geometry of the blade. I hope I am making sense.

+ Reply to Thread