Quantcast
Tojiro Overhaul. - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tojiro Overhaul.

I did a quick polish, and rehandle on one I gifted to a friend...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3851.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	256.9 KB 
ID:	7478Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3858.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	7479

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

That looks awsome Pierre! Same Idea I'm looking at.

I'm fairly confident about making the handle, I've build a guitar neck and the like. If I take my time on it and work on a practice piece it should work out alright. Atleast better then the current Tojiro Handle...
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Not many people reading this likely, I'm waiting on handle materials, I polished out the shigoami (sp?) finish to a currently rough matte finished (600grit -wet polish) Took alot of the vertical scratches out (grinder marks maybe?) about 4mm worth at the heal don't seem to want to polish out right now. Bit of unevenness in the blade that's been sort of evened out. Going to get some lower grits to round off any sharp corners. and take away these ugly marks from my polish. Thinned out a bit on the back side.

Fun little project

Voodoo,

Any over grinds on your blade?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Voodoo,

Any over grinds on your blade?
    Funny you ask, but mine has one that annoys the crap out of me...even though the blade was el cheapo it is frustrating...

Same here about 5mm in front of the heel, which causes accordion cuts when chopping but I imagine overtime I can sharpen that out. Strange, my $70 Fujiwara FKH was perfect, go figure.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Same here about 5mm in front of the heel, which causes accordion cuts when chopping but I imagine overtime I can sharpen that out. Strange, my $70 Fujiwara FKH was perfect, go figure.
    I have several and all of them seem to have at least slight overgrinds too. Nothing too terrible and I think they will iron out with a little time spent on them.

The couple of FKH's that I have are also very well put together. Fujiwara makes great low cost carbon knives. The steel isn't quite as nice as the w2 but the overgrind issues probably aren't worth it over the FKH's.

Just my opinion,
    rj

Yeah, I have a very slight one near the tip. and then the heal on both sides appears to have been Jammed into the grinder. It's a $30 blade I use for in hand work, so it doesn't really bug me to much. But I can't polish the **** marks out at the heel. Never seen anything accordion food worse then that stupid Shun I wish I hadn't bought.

My FKH Suji isn't the best steel by any means. but aside from the it's great.. for $80 I'm happy with what I've got. I would never consider getting a gyuto from Tojiro..

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooMajik View Post
    I would never consider getting a gyuto from Tojiro..
    How come?

Not sure about Voodoomajik's reasons, but mine are that the one tojiro i have (petty 120) has a small overgrind about 4 cm from heel, wavy as hell blade (hammer marks out of control--wabi sabi?), and shoddy workmanship. They use good steel, but I think the tempering is not done very well. I have had the knife long enough for numerous sharpening sessions and still see a large amount of carbides popping loose--I don't know enough to know the how's or why's, but other hitachi carbon I've used doesn't seem to have this problem and I don't believe it is the W2 at fault. Oh, and crappy wa handle.

The other one I bought I returned because it was more sloppily put together than the petty.

Bottom line to me is that I can find just as good if not better for less or equal $, and by spending just a bit more can jump quite a bit in quality. All that being said, ymmv.

Cheers