Kochi blue steel gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

https://www.teruyasu.net/products/
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody tried these yet? I've read positive things about the kochi v2 steel knives, but I like blue steel alot for gyutos and was curious. Debating between a kochi and possibly a mizuno blue #2 gyuto. I know they're different knives in many ways but I'm just weighing the positives and negatives of each. Thanks.

Kochi are taller than Mizuno and thinner at the edge than pretty much anything else out there. Consequently, the grind is flatter so there is a bit more sticking. As the knife is sharpened, they become more similar. Mizuno is a little like a Kochi that's been sharpened a number of times. I like both knives but the Kochi is a better pure cutter.

Thanks. IMO It seems kochi has a better handle, f&f, geometry and is thinner behind the edge but the mizuno has nicer profile, nicer blade height, maybe a slightly thicker machi (which I like),pointier tip, and comes with a saya... I'll be talking with Jon tomorrow, prob just get the kochi.

Well I picked up a Kochi from Jon about three weeks ago or so and I really like it. Like was said, on the tall side and has a little heft to it, but this baby is a good performer. When I had asked Jon what the edge was set at he told me that it was set to about 5 degrees per side. When I got the knife and saw it and gave it a quick strop sure enough it was 5 degrees so it is very thin. Used it at work a few days and so far only took it to the aoto to touch it up, (haven't gotten around to giving it the full treatment) But I'm going to be doing a quick video of it in action here soon either this weekend or the next and if you would like, I'll be more than happy to pop it on here.

Thanks. IMO It seems kochi has a better handle, f&f, geometry and is thinner behind the edge but the mizuno has nicer profile, nicer blade height, maybe a slightly thicker machi (which I like),pointier tip, and comes with a saya... I'll be talking with Jon tomorrow, prob just get the kochi.
The Kochi definitely has a better handle and FnF is arguably better. Geometry is different. It could be better or worse depending on what you like. The geometry on the Mizuno is not consistent between the two that I've seen. One of them was definitely a lefty and the other was fairly even, imo. Blade height... Yeah. I like a little less height but less height means less life so that's a trade-off. Both have a nice thick machi. The Kochi is quite sturdy in that respect, actually. The tip on the Kochi is definitely less pointy than I'd like but it isn't terrible.

Ive removed some spine on the tips of knives in the past in an effort to make them more pointy, not that hard but a little time consuming. Ive just used a sharpie as a guide and a dmt. Aaron I know you're a lefty, tk I can't remember whether or not you are, does the grind bother you on your kochi at all or is it comfortable for a lefty?

Grinding the spine down a little would work but then you'd remove some of the kuro-uchi finish, too, if that bothers you. It might affect the value of the knife if you decide to resell. I'm not a lefty but Pesky did try it out on a variety of objects and did not have any problems.

Grinding the spine down a little would work but then you'd remove some of the kuro-uchi finish, too, if that bothers you. .

I dont think the blue steel kochi has kuro-uchi finish. Infact, im not sure what finish it has. a polish? Again, Im talking with jon tomorrow so ill get more info on that.

Oops. My bad. I have not tried out the other Kochi's extensively.

Ive removed some spine on the tips of knives in the past in an effort to make them more pointy, not that hard but a little time consuming. Ive just used a sharpie as a guide and a dmt. Aaron I know you're a lefty, tk I can't remember whether or not you are, does the grind bother you on your kochi at all or is it comfortable for a lefty?

Not that I can really as in regards to the grind, I'm going to use her some more this weekend and like I said I'll either get a short video of it in action this weekend or the next.

Back