Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #6 Cleaver: Gesshin Ginga vs Sugimoto and Mizuno

#6 Cleaver: Gesshin Ginga vs Sugimoto and Mizuno

I am after a #6 Cleaver and having read everything I could find on various forums I have narrowed it down to Gesshin Ginga, Sugimoto and Mizuno. Although I think no one would really go wrong with any of those I still can't decide.

What I am looking for? Obviously a full size chinese slicer. What I value most:
    - Geometry comes first. A convex grind that goes very thin as it approaches the edge. Not too much belly. The CCK small slicer is my reference there. Something like that but in full size and a little bit more might on the top half part of the blade maybe (not so flat) .
    - Then comes steel. For me it is about ease of sharpening, edge stability and edge retention. I am a home cook so I am not looking for a workhorse. Could be something more delicate. Shigefusa Kurouichi Nakiri and Takeda Guyto are my references there. Something at that level. I will favor stainless this time, provided it comes really close to carbon in these areas.
    - F&F. I can live with a CCK no problem. But at this price range I won't tolerate sloppiness. Not willing to rehandle either.

So far Sugimoto seems a no brainer but it is carbon. Mizuno also fits the bill but is the more expensive of the bunch, also carbon, I have read about finishing issues with the handles and I would have to order from Japan. I will be visiting the states soon so I would rather something available online there.

Therefore, I am also tempted by the Gesshin that looks very good on paper: Stainless, consistent F&F, grind looks good on the photos, profile is ok (not too much belly, like I like it). But I have found almost nothing in terms of user experiences with it.

So anyone can comment on the Gesshin in comparison with the above in terms of geometry, steel and edge qualities and overall usage experience? Preferably somebody who have handled all three if possible?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ntsour View Post
    ...So anyone can comment on the Gesshin in comparison with the above in terms of geometry, steel and edge qualities and overall usage experience? Preferably somebody who have handled all three if possible?...
    I have not used any of these cleavers but I can vouch for the steel qualities, grind and fit and finish on the Ashi which are all excellent.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    welcome

im in the same boat. except im debating between the ashi ginga, sugimoto and mizuno stainless. ill probably get the sugimoto. then again, i change my mind every three days or so. something else im debating is just getting a cck #6 for now just to get comfortable with the size first.

Sugimoto Stainless?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    im in the same boat. except im debating between the ashi ginga, sugimoto and mizuno stainless. ill probably get the sugimoto. then again, i change my mind every three days or so. something else im debating is just getting a cck #6 for now just to get comfortable with the size first.
    Do you mean there is a stainless Sugimoto?

Can you also point me to an online retailer that stocks the stainless Mizuno?

Thanks.

Oh no, I was referring to the carbon sugimoto. But there is a 190mm sugimoto stainless that is supposed to be pretty good. And I've heard good things about their steel for the price. The mizuno stainless is at japanesechefsknife.com it has a real flat profile and might be what you're looking for if you like the cck profile.

I just purchased the Gesshin Ginga cleaver. When it gets here in a few days I can take more pics or offer some thoughts on its performance if youre interested.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I just purchased the Gesshin Ginga cleaver. When it gets here in a few days I can take more pics or offer some thoughts on its performance if youre interested.
    Thanks. Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Here is the Mizuno stainless:

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ChineseCleaver.html

You'll also see the Hattori FH cleaver there, which meets your requirements as well, it doesn't get a ton of love for some reason but I personally found it quite badass. Since you like the Takeda gyuto why not just get a Takeda cleaver, it costs a pretty penny but it's thin, awesome steel, and has a good comfy handle.

I have got the stainless mizuno and I can say that it´s awesome. I´ve posted some pics here: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-re-post/page5
    The handle is not that bad, a bit bulky perhaps but I like those. Mine has no evident gaps or any other problem I can think of. I sanded and oiled it a few months after I got it and now I am absolutely happy with it.

Saludos