Quantcast
Under-appreciated masters Vol II: Rogers & Haslinger
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under-appreciated masters Vol II: Rogers & Haslinger

Under-appreciated masters Vol II: Rogers & Haslinger

A couple more makers who you rarely hear about in this forum, Ray Rogers (www.rayrogers.com) and Thomas Haslinger (www.haslinger-culinary.com).

I may be preaching to the choir about these guys, but Rogers sent me an 8-inch, integral damascus knife that weighs in at 5 oz and is as laser-like and flexible as any Japanese competitor but looks about as Western as a knife can. The mokume-like bolster is made from an old conestoga wagon wheel hub and is followed by a turquoise/red fiber spacer. He works in stainless as well and even experimented with a non-metalic (poured, not forged) knife--see his website for more.

A fellow Canadian to Pierre, Haslinger crafted an 8-inch chef's knife that's as rigid as a railroad tie and was born from an obviously more minimalist aesthetic. It's made of S30V and is impossible for this newbie to sharpen. It joins my Hattori KDs as knives I send to Dave for tender loving care. The scales are snakewood and the pins covered with mother of pearl. I've seen an ebony-handled knife he did with the pearl pins and the effect was striking, like guitar frets. The best feature is the point, which sometimes lets me go right to delicate work and skip the petty.

Name:  IMG_1982.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  14.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1983.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  18.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1985.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  13.1 KB

I have a custom ray rogers O1 steel 10 in chef knife that I had him make about 15 years ago, but it is a poor performer, everything sticks to it and it wedges like crazy and the handle is blocky as hell. The last time I was on his site he wasn't taking any more orders for a year or two and was going to just concentrate on shows. I should have it reground one of these days.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Engorged Member
    I have used knives from both of the makers that you have mentioned. Neither seemed to get the memo about convex grinding. Both are real pretty though and would look good on the wall or in a drawer.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I had two RR's, and now have one. He spends a lot of attention to detail in regards to aesthetics, though I do agree about the convex edges. I love is damascus 8" chef he made for me. I actually used it on non-acidic food one time to see how it cut and it went right through. It was nice. I didn't like the nikiri he made for me, it didn't have a profile taper I would have like to have for such a knife. I bought these 5-6 years ago when I didn't really know what I wanted. I still have the chefs, but sold the nikiri. It just needs a little work, and it would be a strong performer.

No experience with Haslinger, but I didn't like his knives before I knew about knives, and I don't like them now. Not my cup of tea. To each his own.
    Jason

I spent some quality time with a Haslinger (a few of us had a nice passaround, courtesy of Thomas) and found it to be an interesting beast. He's very skilled as a craftsman, and his knives are very nice to look at. I felt it did a better job than many knives I've used, but just didn't quite fall through items like a few other knives I own. All in all, I found his work really nice and great for people who prefer a western knife. It felt solidly built, and was nice to use, but perhaps a bit thick behind the edge. I found it tough to sharpen, and the tip made me nervous. BUT, if it's your style, well, he does it very well.
    I remember a few of us felt that his 8" chef felt more like a big petty, than it did a true chef knife. This, of course is a YMMV type of thing, and I have to give credit were credit is due. He makes a quality piece, but it wasnt quite my cup of tea.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Firstly thanks for sharing your knives. It is nice to see some new tools and hear a new voice. The rogers looks great. Performance wise I was never crazy about these guys. But they make very nice knives never the less.

please keep sharing. and also nice to see more of an nyc presenece

There is a Haslinger at EE
    http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=84937

I mean, the guy got 18 years experience as a chef, he should know what he was making. How about a review of the Haslinger?

I used the Haslinger during the passaround and felt my homemade knife worked better.
    YMMV!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

that' s because your homemade knives are bad ass!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I've been fascinated by the haslingers for quiet a while now. Hopefully I'll own one further down the line, but as tempting as it may be, I find it hard to drop $500+ on a knife that I've really only seen indifferent reviews of. Maybe I'll splurge at tax return time...