Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under-appreciated masters Vol II: Rogers & Haslinger

The haslinger reminds me of one of delberts earlier works with more of an eye to aesthetics and less towered performance.

Your two threads remind me of the chef knives I seen at the Badger knife show.I don't remember who the makers were but they were Very talented.I am sure they were masters in there genre but doing a chef knife is a whole new animal.The knives they made had flawless fit and finish,and the dammy patterns in the blades were fantastic.Now here is were it goes very wrong,you can't take a 3/16 billet of dammy(heel to tip), put a flat grind on it and call it a chef knife.I would have really loved to talk to them about there chef knives but I did not get a good vibe that they wanted to here any critiques about there knives.

The main reason that knifemakers in most of the world outside of Japan suck at making kitchen knives is because they simply don't know what IS and ISN'T important. They spend a lot of time being badasses at things that make little to no difference at all.

A perfectly designed thing doesn't have everything it needs--it is absent of everything it doesn't need.

I got a Haslinger in a passaround. Too thin and whippy, flat ground, and too much belly for me(especially if the knife is going to be so thin at the tip). It was brilliant for things like garlic and other tip work, but it felt like have a pretty badass paring knife on a 10" handle.

Mario, I've seen the same attitude in my own field, so it doesn't surprise me to find it in this one too. Whenever I've read something written by a knifemaker, about his background, the best ones (Kramer, Fowler) talk about all they've learned from their teachers, and they looked for even more feedback after they had some success. Very different from the amateurs at the Badger knife show.

Incidentally, I've enjoyed your posts a whole lot over the past year and wish I could have bid on that last knife, the one that was sold in a minute!