Quantcast
Recommend me yanagiba
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me yanagiba

Recommend me yanagiba

Less than $300 all in.

Gonna be my first j-knife (or any knife >$10).

I want it hand forged, single beveled. Going to use to slice sashimi only, until I can get a good deba. Im going to have it professionally sharpened by a local Japanese knife shop.
    Performance is the main thing I'm after.

Oh must have the j-style handles too, no preference on blade appearance.
    And prefer to shop locally (Toronto) or Canadian online retailers, paulsfinest/knifewear/slice and sear, etc.
    Last edited by echerub; 05-21-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Objectionable phrasing rephrased

knife will only be used occasionally for home/rec, once a week.

Im Not a chef or nothing, but it's my second best hobby!

How about Tokojou from aoki hamono via paulsfinest? knifewear does not seem to stock suisin single bevel shironiko line, which would have been a good (or better) choice.

Since your name is "poutine_boy," I'm assuming you're from Canada and you may not know that the term "***" has very racist connotations among Japanese and Japanese-Americans like myself. Out of respect to members who are Japanese or Japanese, I would ask that you or anyone else not use that term.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

much more awesomer
    Canadians also know.
    Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

I'm a weebo and I am also offended by this term...

Jk I'm not a weebo but it does rub me the wrong way. Though I have friends who don't realize it is a racial slur as they thought they were merely abbreviating. I'll explain it to them and get, "Oh ****, yeah I didn't mean it like that."

No harm no foul.

Back ot now please
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Since your name is "poutine_boy," I'm assuming you're from Canada and you may not know that the term "***" has very racist connotations among Japanese and Japanese-Americans like myself. Out of respect to members who are Japanese or Japanese, I would ask that you or anyone else not use that term.
    Hopefully no harm was meant. Probably just a accident with no harm intended. As it is you planned the west coast gathering date over the orange county Obon festival. Luckily the festival is two days. So I can go to Obon festival Saturday and west coast gathering Sunday. I think there is a great appreciation for Japanese and Japanese culture here. Thank you for hosting our get together.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    Hopefully no harm was meant. Probably just a accident with no harm intended. As it is you planned the west coast gathering date over the orange county Obon festival. Luckily the festival is two days. So I can go to Obon festival Saturday and west coast gathering Sunday. I think there is a great appreciation for Japanese and Japanese culture here. Thank you for hosting our get together.
    I used to play basketball on certain evenings at OCBC. I also used to be a board member of Nisei Week in LA.

I completely forgot that this day may conflict with Obon festivals. Luckily, the date does not conflict with Nisei Week.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Though I have friends who don't realize it is a racial slur as they thought they were merely abbreviating. I'll explain it to them and get, "Oh ****, yeah I didn't mean it like that."
    No harm no foul.
    I never heard of it as a racial slur. Never meant it like that.

but back to OT

so,

Tokojou from aoki ham &
    suisin shironiko

anything else I should consider?

Is something like this, Moritaka Yanagiba, not any good?

will be home use, is 240mm too short?

+ Reply to Thread