Recommend me yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poutine_boy

Reaction score
Less than $300 all in.

Gonna be my first j-knife (or any knife >$10).

I want it hand forged, single beveled. Going to use to slice sashimi only, until I can get a good deba. Im going to have it professionally sharpened by a local Japanese knife shop.
Performance is the main thing I'm after.

Oh must have the j-style handles too, no preference on blade appearance.
And prefer to shop locally (Toronto) or Canadian online retailers, paulsfinest/knifewear/slice and sear, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
knife will only be used occasionally for home/rec, once a week.

Im Not a chef or nothing, but it's my second best hobby!

How about Tokojou from aoki hamono via paulsfinest? knifewear does not seem to stock suisin single bevel shironiko line, which would have been a good (or better) choice.

Since your name is "poutine_boy," I'm assuming you're from Canada and you may not know that the term "***" has very racist connotations among Japanese and Japanese-Americans like myself. Out of respect to members who are Japanese or Japanese, I would ask that you or anyone else not use that term.

I'm a weebo and I am also offended by this term... :biggrin:

Jk I'm not a weebo but it does rub me the wrong way. Though I have friends who don't realize it is a racial slur as they thought they were merely abbreviating. I'll explain it to them and get, "Oh ****, yeah I didn't mean it like that."

No harm no foul.

Back ot now please :D

Since your name is "poutine_boy," I'm assuming you're from Canada and you may not know that the term "***" has very racist connotations among Japanese and Japanese-Americans like myself. Out of respect to members who are Japanese or Japanese, I would ask that you or anyone else not use that term.

Hopefully no harm was meant. Probably just a accident with no harm intended. As it is you planned the west coast gathering date over the orange county Obon festival. Luckily the festival is two days. So I can go to Obon festival Saturday and west coast gathering Sunday. I think there is a great appreciation for Japanese and Japanese culture here. Thank you for hosting our get together.

Hopefully no harm was meant. Probably just a accident with no harm intended. As it is you planned the west coast gathering date over the orange county Obon festival. Luckily the festival is two days. So I can go to Obon festival Saturday and west coast gathering Sunday. I think there is a great appreciation for Japanese and Japanese culture here. Thank you for hosting our get together.

I used to play basketball on certain evenings at OCBC. I also used to be a board member of Nisei Week in LA.

I completely forgot that this day may conflict with Obon festivals. Luckily, the date does not conflict with Nisei Week.

Though I have friends who don't realize it is a racial slur as they thought they were merely abbreviating. I'll explain it to them and get, "Oh ****, yeah I didn't mean it like that."
No harm no foul.

I never heard of it as a racial slur. Never meant it like that.

but back to OT

so,

Tokojou from aoki ham &
suisin shironiko

anything else I should consider?

PBoy, I went with Mori knives when i first started too. I would not go that route again. They are good but the ones suggested above are better bets including the 300 Yaniagiba Hon Kasumi in Blue #2 Honton Sekon Dojo from Epic Edge (the one I have) $250. the profile is a little taller giving more surface area to use to arrange sliced fish on the plate. Amazing grind nothing else in this class for the $. At least that I could find and I'm a research-a-holic. IT why I love this forum and have great respect for its members.

Back