Quantcast
rehandling even cheapies....
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rehandling even cheapies....

rehandling even cheapies....

I've gotten to that point where I'm very comfortable with my "dirty dozen". I've sold off literally 15 knives in the last couple months. I found I always gravitate back to the same few...

One of my long standing favorites is a Forschner cimiter. It's actually my second, as my first was retired from years of abuse. I know a few such as Oivind have rehandled some "cheapies", but are they crazy, or on to something?

I have to admit, I was heavily entertained seeing O's rehandled $5 Forschner parers....

So, does my beloved cheapy cimiter deserve some wood, or should I just be happy with the fibrox, or find a new more $$$ cimiter down the road????
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

If you can do it yourself, I'd say, "Hell yeah!" or you have a bud that will do it for you on the cheap.

I vote for some nice wood for it, but then, I've spent more than I care to think about having Mike Henry replace perfectly serviceable handles with his works of art.

Rick

I am the wrong person to contribute, I replace everything.

If you are really gonna stick with it, I'd rehandle but if you think you might have someone make one out of materials that will last a bit longer, I'd do that instead.

Rick, it seems we always see bits and pieces of your collection; WIPS, some coming, some going...

Seeing Mikes work almost makes one gravitate towards wanting to rehandle everything, vs. buying new knives. I've got a couple under construction myself. Can't wait!!!

So many doing such great work now; it's opened an entire new addiction for many...

TK, my first cimeter had the redwood handle, and didn't last more than a few years with the constant abuse in a fish fab room. I opted for the fibrox second time around, and it's as good as new...ugly and cheap, but resilient.

Kalaeb, If I had yours or Mhenrys skills I'd rehandle everything, too...

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    you should get another cheapie, rehandle it your self. Then when you have figured out what you are doing, go for the one you are gonna keep.

on the first one I would pick some wood out of the firewood stack. That way you aren't out more than the 10$ for the knife. Then give it away.

How long do you reckon your current cimeter will last? Is it a good idea to rehandle something that might wear out again? Maybe just get a custom one made?

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Rick, it seems we always see bits and pieces of your collection; WIPS, some coming, some going...
    I'm behind in posting in my gallery (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...Tiger-s-Knives).

I should have something going up there this week.

Here's a tease.

Rick