rehandling even cheapies....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
I've gotten to that point where I'm very comfortable with my "dirty dozen". I've sold off literally 15 knives in the last couple months. I found I always gravitate back to the same few...

One of my long standing favorites is a Forschner cimiter. It's actually my second, as my first was retired from years of abuse. I know a few such as Oivind have rehandled some "cheapies", but are they crazy, or on to something?

I have to admit, I was heavily entertained seeing O's rehandled $5 Forschner parers....

So, does my beloved cheapy cimiter deserve some wood, or should I just be happy with the fibrox, or find a new more $$$ cimiter down the road????

If you can do it yourself, I'd say, "Hell yeah!" or you have a bud that will do it for you on the cheap.

I vote for some nice wood for it, but then, I've spent more than I care to think about having Mike Henry replace perfectly serviceable handles with his works of art.

Rick

I am the wrong person to contribute, I replace everything.

If you are really gonna stick with it, I'd rehandle but if you think you might have someone make one out of materials that will last a bit longer, I'd do that instead.

Rick, it seems we always see bits and pieces of your collection; WIPS, some coming, some going...

Seeing Mikes work almost makes one gravitate towards wanting to rehandle everything, vs. buying new knives. I've got a couple under construction myself. Can't wait!!!

So many doing such great work now; it's opened an entire new addiction for many...

TK, my first cimeter had the redwood handle, and didn't last more than a few years with the constant abuse in a fish fab room. I opted for the fibrox second time around, and it's as good as new...ugly and cheap, but resilient.

Kalaeb, If I had yours or Mhenrys skills I'd rehandle everything, too...

you should get another cheapie, rehandle it your self. Then when you have figured out what you are doing, go for the one you are gonna keep.

on the first one I would pick some wood out of the firewood stack. That way you aren't out more than the 10$ for the knife. Then give it away.

How long do you reckon your current cimeter will last? Is it a good idea to rehandle something that might wear out again? Maybe just get a custom one made?

Rick, it seems we always see bits and pieces of your collection; WIPS, some coming, some going...

I'm behind in posting in my gallery (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/4911-Pensacola-Tiger-s-Knives).

I should have something going up there this week.

Here's a tease.

3e838d92.jpg

Rick

Just re-handle them yourself,it's not that hard.

If you love the knife, but not the handle, rehandle it. Doesn't matter what it is. The scales got warped on my first swiss army knife. I had wood from my daughter's first rocking chair that broke.

2010+Lily+Custom+Vic+Recruit.JPG

It's a $10 pocketknife, and now it's something I love to carry in my toolbox(even if it is an absurd model of SAK).

How long do you reckon your current cimeter will last? Is it a good idea to rehandle something that might wear out again? Maybe just get a custom one made?

When you have something like that for so long, you will keep it around when it is just a nub.

Honestly, I got the first one when I was working at a seafood joint, in which we fabbed a ton of fish, literally. I have since moved on, and purchased the replacement of the fibrox. I don't think it will ever come close to seeing the abuse of its predecessor....but it's still a fav, none the less.

I'm all for rehandling :) But I haven't rehandled everything in my own stash, either. Not a matter of price, though, if I really liked a knife and used it a lot, I would consider rehandling.

Stefan

I'm in the opposite position. My EDC has a crap blade, but I love the knife. If I could ever not carry it for a few weeks, maybe I'd follow up on the deal Pierre and I made, and get a great new blade put in my most used knife.

Trust me: Im on to something :)
vg1wer.jpg

You are not truly happy not going down that road. Knowing is the answer, never knowing is not an alternative....

Rehandle project?

No, the handle Devin put on is just fine. I think anything else might compete with the feather pattern, rather than complement it as the pyinma does.

What have you planned for your feather damascus gyuto, or will you keep us in suspense as you did with that gorgeous bubblewrap damascus?

Lol, I just pulled your leg :)

Well for mine... Hmmm, just bought a musk from Randy.... Big sis needs that little sis :)
Best things in life comes in pairs :)

Back