Crummy Carter Handles- Please show yours:

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

add

Founding Member
Reaction score
100_0166.jpg

Olive wood with thick red liners.
Six-pinned and two mosaics (look: both synchronized/clocked correctly), no tear out (see dull bits).
Tapered tang.

Flat out CLEAN here.

Yes, all Murray's handi work.

Why the surprise?

No doubt he has the skills and eye... thing is,.. you gonna pay for the non-blade work.
So be it.

Alas, a knife I used to own... :spankarse:

One of his neckers that actually felt comfortable in hand.

100_0178.jpg

Murray does very nice knife handle work IMHO, but it's work time that will get charged. I am pretty sure tha the crappy handles we complain about are bulk handles from Japan, not his own handiwork.

Stefan

I had problems with buffalo horn scales that curled off the tang. Murray took it back, legitimately charged me for the hours he spent replacing it (and the bolster), and returned the custom knife with magnificent ironwood scales and red spacers. But I have heard other people gripe about his handles, and vendors like Epicurean Edge tell me they've re-worked or replaced many of them.

I think you should change crummy to "crummy". You are getting people confused here.

Those pins in that necker are confusing. Where on EARTH do you find tubing like that?? I've check a lot of model train and airplane stores, and it would be an epic feat to find weirdo star-shaped pins like that, line everything up evenly, and it all fitting together.

What I want to know is what is a "neck knife" used for? Sounds like a good tool to have around if I were a sky-diver or assassin? What do you do with them. They seem a little creepy to me? I mean, why around the neck? You have no pockets?

What I want to know is what is a "neck knife" used for? Sounds like a good tool to have around if I were a sky-diver or assassin? What do you do with them. They seem a little creepy to me? I mean, why around the neck? You have no pockets?

I use my pockets for other things, plus I got tired of wearing holes in my pockets from carrying a folder. Keys and change are bad enough.

Its a very convenient way to carry a fixed blade, which are usually stronger than folders. Great for camping and when I'm outside. I'd never wear one to the office. But seriously, it's just a knife, and a 2" blade around your neck is no scarier than one in your pocket

When I first saw his website I was asking what the ???? is a neck knife. Then I saw him shave with one and said "so that is what it is for." Until recently I had no idea it was how it was carried.

Back