Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charcuterie

Charcuterie

I always enjoy a nice charcuterie plate when I go out for dinner and at my current job, I get to contribute to ours. We used to have a pretty standard and simple rotation of items, but I have a pretty long leash for interesting side projects so I have been trying to up our charcuterie game. I have a very small walkin, so I don't have room for 2 giant cambros filled with hams packed in salt or pigs heads and trotters in brine (cough, Tkern, cough). But I do have a humidity and temperature controlled wine/storage room that I can hang stuff in. Here is some stuff I have working right now.

Cleaning up some Moulard/Magret duck breast for prosciutto. Spicy White Devin also pictured.

The duck breast packed in salt, pink salt, garlic, juniper berries, thyme, and peppercorns for a day or two.

After about 36 hours in the cure, rinsed.

And wrapped in cheesecloth, ready to be dried.

Some sliced duck breast prosciutto (from a different batch, this one is Pekin, the Magret version is bigger and tastier).

Guanciale (cured Pork Jowl) in the cure after about 4 days. Couple more days and then it goes to hang and dry.

Bresaola (air dried beef) after curing for two weeks, rinsed of cure, ready to dry.

Two batches of duck prosciutto and the bresaola hanging in our store room. When we get audited, our fat soaked paperwork will make for a nice snack.

Some of the bresaola after aging/drying for week(ish) and sliced with my Martell 300mm suji.

So...what do you guys have hanging in your store rooms? What's on your charcuterie platters or in your recipe notebooks? Please share, I am always looking for new things to try and add to our rotation.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

ooooh, i've been meaning to do some curing at home. could you please post full recipes for these delicious looking items?

Insanely envious.

-AJ

This post did it. You don't have a bunch of fancy tools and converted fridges and you still get delicious meats.

I'm making some.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Charcuterie...the King of Food. Your ingredients are mind blowing. Let me know when it's ready and I'll send my address. ;-)

Johnny,

Everything looks fantastic, thanks for sharing your pictures. Seems like you are doing some really cool things at your restaurant, especially maximizing the functionality of your wine cooler.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

And that 300 sugi is aging really nicely as well!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Can I get a side of that Spicy White Devin to go?

Looks fantastic! Do you have a copy of Charcuterie by Ruhlman? His follow up book is supposed to be released this summer.

Dave

http://ruhlman.com/2011/07/salumi-update/

Yes I do have Ruhlman's Charcuterie. Two copies actually, one at work and one at home. Pretty much all of the charcuterie items I make are either recipes from that book, variations on his recipes, or the book is at least used as a reference when attempting my own recipe. Looking forward to the follow up Salumi.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Check out Paul Bertolli's books. I prefer them to Ruhlman. Everything looks great; haven't tried making guanciale yet but I do enjoy eating it.