Quantcast
Kid Chefs. What do you think? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kid Chefs. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    It's almost as if you "liked" the series finale of General Hospital and a heart surgeon got all pissy at you for undermining the integrity of his career.
    ROFL A very nice summation.

Engorged Member
    I'm in agreement with most of the sentiment here. I used to get pissed at Sandra Dee, who I never really considered a cook, my aunt reminded me its just TV and they aren't paid to cook, just to entertain.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post

By the way I love your signature quote "I believe it's a cook's moral obligation to add more butter given the chance.~~~Michael Ruhlman." LOL That is a fantastic obligation.
    I think the quote I live by is "life is short, eat dessert first" by Jacques Torres.
    Absolutely. While watching Julia one day (I think on the series with Julia and Jacques, as it was relatively contemporary), she says, and I paraphrase...If you are one of those people these days who doesn't like to add a lot of butter, tho' if you don't, you'll be sorry....just add cream.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I'm in agreement with most of the sentiment here. I used to get pissed at Sandra Dee, who I never really considered a cook, my aunt reminded me its just TV and they aren't paid to cook, just to entertain.
    Yeah, but she was great in A Summer Place. (is my age showing?) ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    +1
    It's almost as if you "liked" the series finale of General Hospital and a heart surgeon got all pissy at you for undermining the integrity of his career.
    ROFL You couldn't have phrased that any better.

Hmmm. I've never seen the show, but maybe I will record it and check it out. In general I don't like shows or food magazines that are too kid-focused on cooking. I subscribe to a couple of magazines, and though they are pretty good, they get a bit 'preachy' and rule oriented. Yes, it is good to enforce safe/clean rules when cooking, but once you combine a bunch of safety rules, with a big dose of "fighting childhood obesity" type of food fare, and the limited recipes made for youngsters, these things become a bit boring and repetitive. And most of this stuff is really for the parents and not the kids.

I actually like how Jamie Oliver incorporates some child-friendly cooking into his real magazine about cooking. He has a good balance I think.

In the end, kids are going to watch cooking shows that are entertaining, not watch shows just because a kid happens to be on it. If little Remmi inspires kids and is entertaining, then I don't have that much of a problem with it, but the second that a Little Remmi Cookware line comes out, then I would bet she is being exploited.

The last thing I would say is that if Little Remmi can somehow wrestle the concept of kids cooking away from the baking/cupcake crowd, I would fully support it. That cupcake and macaroon crap needs to die a quick death IMO.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

The angry chef needs to grow up, back in the day kids as young as eight started in the kitchen as part of the apprenticeship program, they practically lived in the restaurant and learned the craft from the bottom up. My chef and a few others that I worked with started out at 8 or 9 years old scraping butcher blocks and cleaning out the ash from the ovens and peeling vegetables. This kid I'm sure doesn't have to work brutal 16 hour days, 7 days a week for room and board. Times have changed. If you feel threatened by an 11 year old, you need to get out of the business. I don't agree with child exploitation, but we are making assumptions thyat are not based in fact. She may very well love doing what's she is doing and the difference is she can say no.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    The angry chef needs to grow up, back in the day kids as young as eight started in the kitchen as part of the apprenticeship program, they practically lived in the restaurant and learned the craft from the bottom up. My chef and a few others that I worked with started out at 8 or 9 years old scraping butcher blocks and cleaning out the ash from the ovens and peeling vegetables. This kid I'm sure doesn't have to work brutal 16 hour days, 7 days a week for room and board. Times have changed. If you feel threatened by an 11 year old, you need to get out of the business. I don't agree with child exploitation, but we are making assumptions thyat are not based in fact. She may very well love doing what's she is doing and the difference is she can say no.
    I doubt anyone could have said it better. Hear hear. ;-)

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I kinda agree with the mad chef. If it wasn't a kid's show and on let's say Ray Ray's show. I can see that being a huge problem. Many times I hear Chef thrown around to people that haven't deserved it. Which is the only problem I see with the surgeon. This can be seen as when someone writes about Rachel Ray and calls her chef. She is classified as a celebrity Chef. No were on her website and books (from what I have seen) does she have the prefix of chef. For some reason she pisses a lot of people off because she is famous. Don't get me wrong I kinda like her, haven't watched her show though.

As for being on a kids show, she can say, "I'm not a chef, but I play one on tv. Does that count??"

I am always puzzled by people who are against things that they have not actually seen.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig