Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kid Chefs. What do you think?

"Chef" Giovanni and I have an ongoing "conversation" at youtube. If you don't know about him, here's a few pictures.

Name:  ddj59k.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  14.0 KB

Name:  7454-1290060548.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  8.9 KB
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

If she likes it and wasn't pressured into to it. More power to her and her supportive parents. Some of those little girl beauty pageants with the pressuring moms are what get me.

All I have to say is get used to it. The media drives this industry. And they are clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    All I have to say is get used to it. The media drives this industry. And they are clueless.
    Unfortunately, that's a pretty friggin' accurate analysis.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    I also don't know if it's exploitation, or rather, if the exploitation is anything worse than it was for, say, the mouseketeers when i was growing up. There is truth to the idea that kids like the novelty of seeing people on TV closer to their age. Whether allowing that inevitably exploits the person that gets put on TV... Not sure.
    nice fuzzy gray area you've got going there bprescot. imo, in this situation, exploitation starts when the child ceases to enjoy what he or she is doing and is forced to continue. Unfortunately, we don't see what goes on behind the cameras, but the kid in the show seems to be happy and genuinely interested

Out of everything that makes it onto television with regard to cooking, this guy loses it over "Cook Time with Remmi". That's fantastically absurd~
    Respect the product, support the purveyors, cook with humility.

I really think teaching your children how to cook is a fundamental life lesson that will make them a well rounded adult and if a silly TV show can help,more power to it.

Should clarify that i don't mean that they exploit the kid as an individual.

They exploit the fact that they are kids, and kids are cute. Awwwwww..

I have my son in the kitchen with me pretty frequently. I have actually had him help me prep stuff for cooking. Aside from the media frenzy, and the exploitation aspect of it, i think we should encourage children to cook, maybe they will learn some real world skills...after all, there is only so many positions available for video game testers...

Quote Originally Posted by Candlejack View Post
    Should clarify that i don't mean that they exploit the kid as an individual.

They exploit the fact that they are kids, and kids are cute. Awwwwww..

Ah. So you didn't mean "exploiting" as in exploiting the child for cheap labor, but exploiting the viewers' innate "oh so cute" reaction to children? If this show were aimed at grownups, sure, maybe the use of a child actor simply to illicit some positive reaction could be considered manipulative, I suppose, but I think this show is targeted at kids.