Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kid Chefs. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Ah. So you didn't mean "exploiting" as in exploiting the child for cheap labor, but exploiting the viewers' innate "oh so cute" reaction to children? If this show were aimed at grownups, sure, maybe the use of a child actor simply to illicit some positive reaction could be considered manipulative, I suppose, but I think this show is targeted at kids.
    Yeah, i doubt the kid is exploited in this case. I wasn't sure who the show was aimed for. But if it's aimed at children, i think it's a great move.
    But i wouldn't recommend this job to anyone, unless they really love it. Being a cook/chef isn't something you do, it's something you are.

I actually just read up on the Remmi show a bit and watched an episode on YouTube. The show is pretty good I think. She has teamed up with the Oklahoma Culinary Arts School to make the show, and on each episode she learns some technique from an actual chef that they would normally teach at the school. So she gets instruction from a chef in a professional kitchen, then she gives a kid-friendly spin on it and makes her own dish at her kitchen. In the episode I watched she learned how to oil poach fish in the oven, then she turned it into poaching salmon in a broth. While Remmi is cooking, the chef who taught her the technique comments on her cooking while she is preparing it and Remmi serves it to the chef after she is done.

The show is not national or on some big network, but only on cable in the Oklahoma area. There is a fair bit of advertising with local kitchen and food suppliers as well as being a big plug for the culinary arts program, but one would expect ads on any cooking show. The show does have a certain charm to it, and feels less scripted than a lot of the other food shows on the FN. It's actually probably better than a lot of other crap shows out there.

I don't feel she is being exploited. She loves to cook, and as young kids watch all these cooking shows, a fair amount of them probably dream to be a chef (and even a celebrity chef). She is definitely on her way.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I actually just read up on the Remmi show a bit and watched an episode on YouTube. The show is pretty good I think. She has teamed up with the Oklahoma Culinary Arts School to make the show, and on each episode she learns some technique from an actual chef that they would normally teach at the school. So she gets instruction from a chef in a professional kitchen, then she gives a kid-friendly spin on it and makes her own dish at her kitchen. In the episode I watched she learned how to oil poach fish in the oven, then she turned it into poaching salmon in a broth. While Remmi is cooking, the chef who taught her the technique comments on her cooking while she is preparing it and Remmi serves it to the chef after she is done.

The show is not national or on some big network, but only on cable in the Oklahoma area. There is a fair bit of advertising with local kitchen and food suppliers as well as being a big plug for the culinary arts program, but one would expect ads on any cooking show. The show does have a certain charm to it, and feels less scripted than a lot of the other food shows on the FN. It's actually probably better than a lot of other crap shows out there.

I don't feel she is being exploited. She loves to cook, and as young kids watch all these cooking shows, a fair amount of them probably dream to be a chef (and even a celebrity chef). She is definitely on her way.

k.
    wow that sounds cool. I think some adults should watch it too. Sounds like she is on her way to be a chef.