Quantcast
Can anyone help identify this combination stone?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone help identify this combination stone?

Can anyone help identify this combination stone?

Has this plastic divider thing built around the edges, which held the plastic lids (which I lost). Also lost the packaging...

Anyone can tell me about this?

Thanks, sorry I don't know any details about it like how coarse it is or know how to tell. Was hoping the design was unique enough that someone would know.

Looks kind of similar to a king combination whetstone #220 #1000.
    I have one of those, but without the plastic divider. The green is 220grit. The brown is 1000grit.
    King outsorses for some brands. Maibe this was made for a specific company...

and i would really suggest lapping that flat before use, the picture looks like there's some pretty impressive sway

Stephan,
    Thanks for the tip.

Does anyone know how I can go about finding approximate grit of these stones? I bought these on a whim a while ago from a store in Montreal selling japanese goods not really knowing anything about it or what I wanted it for. I just wanted it...haha. I don't have other stones and am not experienced so I don't know what to compare it to.

I plan on picking up a japanese knife soon and a basic stone setup and wonder if this will work at all or not.

edit: actually after some googling I managed to figure out the name of the store. Emailed the owner and sent a pic, hopefully they recognize it.

Henckels sells that exact stone branded as its own - it is a synthetic stone@ 250 and 1000 grit and its listed as a water stone. They retail for about 60-70 bucks.

Thanks.

Looks just like the King 250/1000 stone which I'm guessing is the same as the Henckel one you mentioned.

Now my next question....

I will get a konosuke HD Gyuto, would it be alright to use the 1000side of this stone along with say, a Rika 5K or Arashiyama 6K and that would be good for general sharpening for my knife?

The Henckels stones are actually rebranded Naniwas. They have that 250/1000 and a 3000/8000. They're also now selling a range of rebadged Choseras under their Miyabi brand.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post

I will get a konosuke HD Gyuto, would it be alright to use the 1000side of this stone along with say, a Rika 5K or Arashiyama 6K and that would be good for general sharpening for my knife?

Yep.

You're going to want a strop to maintain the edge between sharpenings, but that is simple enough if you are on a tight budget--leather, compound and a piece of wood. If you aren't on so tight a budget, you can get a sweet setup like JKS' All-U-Need kit. A regular steel won't do anything to a hard steel knife, and the diamond coated hones will destroy an edge in 2 swipes.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Yep.

You're going to want a strop to maintain the edge between sharpenings, but that is simple enough if you are on a tight budget--leather, compound and a piece of wood. If you aren't on so tight a budget, you can get a sweet setup like JKS' All-U-Need kit. A regular steel won't do anything to a hard steel knife, and the diamond coated hones will destroy an edge in 2 swipes.
    Thanks! Last night I ordered Chromium Oxide from ebay (liquid semi-paste type version). BTW do you think its a bad idea to start off sharpening my own knife (the konosuke hd)? In other words, could I really mess up the knife somehow as I'm learning how to sharpen?

Last question...I saw Dave's post on the other forum with a bunch of links about sharpening knives. I missed a few of the links, however I'm feeling unsatisfied with the links provided there. Maybe its just that I tend to find more value in good threads where many different people chime in and provide answers. Anyone can remember/link me to a good thread like this that has a lot of information for a beginner sharpener getting a knife similar to mine? (konosuke HD gyuto).

+ Reply to Thread