Quantcast
A lesson on Japanese charcoal (Because BBQ season is approaching!!)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A lesson on Japanese charcoal (Because BBQ season is approaching!!)

A lesson on Japanese charcoal (Because BBQ season is approaching!!)

I am so incredibly excited for BBQ season! My current BBQ place is Blue Smoke NY run by Danny Mayer's Union Square Restaurant Group. If you have a chance you should definitely stop by and have their Kansas City ribs with mashed potatoes.

If you asked me right now what my favorite non-knife product we have at korin, I would tell you right away that its the binchotan charcoal (and the Zoujirushi Air pot... but thats another story.)

Binchotan is a traditional Japanese charcoal that is completely different from American charcoal in just about every way possible. Due to the fact that binchotan is chemical free, almost smoke free, and burns at a temperature 300 to 600 degrees higher than American charcoal. The lack of chemical additives and the incredibly high heat preserves the flavorful juices, adds a beautiful sear, and makes anything barbecued on it absolutely delectable.

Ms. Kawano allowed us to take 5lbs each and try them out. So we had a BBQ at a coworker's house!

There are three different types of binchotan. Main different being the longevity of the flame.

Name:  TK-636-01-33_s.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  32.6 KB

White binchotan burns for up to 5 hours. Because white binchotan is the hardest charcoal, it is also the hardest to light. It may take about an hour to light it. However, once it is lit it will burn at the highest temperature for the longest amount of time.
    http://korin.com/White-Binchotan-Charcoal_2

Aramaru charcoal is the easier to light than white binchotan, however they have a shorter life (up to 3-4 hours). This makes them ideal to mix with white binchotan. Please light aramaru charcoal by placing it over direct flame until it turns red. This may take up 30 minutes.
    http://korin.com/Binchotan-Aramaru-Charcoal

Sumi charcoal is a charcoal briquette that is more economical than aramaru and white binchotan. Sumi charcoal is also chemical free, almost smoke free, and burn three times hotter than American charcoal. Sumi charcoal is the easiest to light out of the three types of Japanese charcoals, however they have a shorter life (up to 3 hours).
    http://korin.com/Japanese-Sumi-Charcoal

Tips:
    - Put the white binchotan over direct flame with either a charcoal starter or over a netted pot similar to the charcoal starter. This will take up to 30 minutes to 1 hour. You can find the starter pot here: http://korin.com/Charcoal-Starter-Pan-with-Handle
    - Mix sumi or aramaru charcoal that light up faster with the white binchotan
    - Please note liquid fuel is not enough to burn these white binchotan, you must put binchotan over direct flame to light.

Binchotan being Used

Click image for larger version

Name:	316642_10150408525694304_19659469303_7984067_891100460_n.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	7328
    Taken at Gohan Society's Event last December. The grill being used here can be found: http://korin.com/Charcoal-Barbecue-K...ategory=281236

Name:	gohan-slider-2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	7332
    Tadashi Ono of Matsuri Restaurant. Writer of The Japanese Grill

A few restaurants that use these charcoal: Bouley, Brushstroke, Matsuri NY, Tori-Shin NY

Benefits and Health Value of White Charcoal

- Filters and absorbs chemicals in water. All water filters have white charcoal in them.

Name:	7243378832_d0ca25bff2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	7327
    - Absorbs odors
    Korin uses it in the pocket knife showcase. We have to keep the showcase humidified, because the pocket knives are really sensitive to humidity and dryness. (The handles start to shrink and etc.) But in efforts to keep the case humidified, the entire case started to smell damp and gross, so we put the binchotan in. It looks pretty too.

- Absorbs dampness
    You can put it in your fridge to replace baking soda!

- Produces negative ions that helps the immune system, and decreases electromagnetism. Supposedly, its good to keep next to your bed. I've never tried it though, so I can't vouch for this.

- Reusable! As long as it's not ash, you can reuse binchotan as many times as you want. You could also reuse it by soaking it in water for a few minutes for a better effect.

- Neutralizes and improves soil quality for plants

- Small amounts of binchotan powder can help kill stomach viruses, prevent food poisoning, and stop diarrhea. *Warning: Large amounts is unhealthy.

- Small amounts in rice cookers increases the rice’s calcium and makes the rice keep for longer.

- Bathing with a little bit of binchotan in the water can help improve one’s blood cycle, hair and skin.

*I got this information at WhiteBinchotan.com. It's a little Engrishy, but it was very helpful.

Korin offers many different BBQ grills

We offer large konro grills as well as smaller table top konro grills. We recommend the smaller ones be used with liquid fuel, rather than binchotan charcoal, but we also have small binchotan worthy grills.

Name:  KON-10931_s.jpg
Views: 2450
Size:  74.8 KB
    Charcoal Barbecue Grill- Small
    As seen on Bon Appetit
    $169.00

Name:  KON-127_S.jpg
Views: 3099
Size:  52.9 KB
    Brown Rect Charcoal BBQ Konro
    $62.00 – $123.00

Name:  KON-106_s.jpg
Views: 2488
Size:  44.6 KB
    The Hida Konro
    ^^ Better to just use fuel for these type of grills ^^
    $37.50

If I was a millionaire, I would use bichotan charcoal to cook my ribs at home.

If I was a billionaire, I would just have a shipping container of the stuff delivered to my house. I love this stuff.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    If I was a millionaire, I would use bichotan charcoal to cook my ribs at home.

If I was a billionaire, I would just have a shipping container of the stuff delivered to my house. I love this stuff.
    Doesn't it make your BBQ taste SO much better? I was really amazed. LOL Thats awesome that you use binchotan! What is your favorite thing to cook with it?

Really great post! Very informative. Love BBQ. Thanks!

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Makes me wonder if the Blacksmiths in Japan use White binchotan, when they say charcoal forged.

Quote Originally Posted by Korin_Mari View Post
    Doesn't it make your BBQ taste SO much better? I was really amazed. LOL Thats awesome that you use binchotan! What is your favorite thing to cook with it?
    It is awesome. I think the thing that makes Binchotan unique is that it burns so cleanly and without much smoke; it provides a clean smoke flavor without off flavors that come from other charcoals.

I also go to a yakitori restaurant close to my house in Gardena that exclusively uses Bichotan. The restaurant is Torimatsu.

Since it's expensive, at home, I use it with a small Konro grill and cook things yakitori style such as tebasaki, shisito, nasu and sometimes seafood like scallops and shrimp.
    Michael

I wonder how it compares with the mesquite charcoal that I am using. It also produces little smoke once it gets going, and burns quite hot.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Spike:

In my experience, there's really no comparable charcoal in the states to Binchotan. First, Binchotan is extremely dense. A similar sized piece of mesquite would last probably 20% of the time of a similar piece of Binchotan. It's much denser (a 1 kg amount of binchotan fits in a small box). Also, when Binchotan burns, you can see that it is burning at a much higher temp - in a small Japanese grill, you only need three of four pieces. And the smell is noticeably less smoky. That's why, IMHO, it's an ideal smoking wood - the charoal wouldn't interfere with the wood.

If I get my hands on some, I'll send you a few pieces so you can see firsthand. It's amazing stuff. It just costs A LOT.
    Michael

Thanks for the very informative post! I'll have to try it one of these days.

lights much faster if you use a propane or butane torch, this won't leave any residual taste or smell as the fuel is fully consumed in the flame. No chemicals in the food and you won't have to wait the hour to get it started.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

+ Reply to Thread