Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A lesson on Japanese charcoal (Because BBQ season is approaching!!)

Quote Originally Posted by 5698k View Post
    Have you ever compared it to coconut charcoal? They sound fairly similar. I use cocochar from the Komodo Kamado company, the manufacturer of the Kamado grill I use.
    Binchotan is completely different as it is made of solid oak. You’re describing a compressed charcoal product that has more similarities to sumi style but with different wood species and different molding techniques.

Hmm might have to look more into this. Love cooking with charcoal

Quote Originally Posted by niwaki-boy View Post
    Hi Aldo, I just plunge into a steel bowl/hotel pan with water then place into another for next time. Lots of small pieces help to get the next round firing faster. It’s expensive, I’ve always tried to not be wasteful of this stuff. Just beware of the sumi type with the hole, if you plunge too quickly you’ll have a blow hole with water and ashes fly out
    Hope that helps you out. Oh and the charcoal water can be used on plants
    Thank you very much for the reply! So it's totally ok to submerge them in water? How long do you leave them in the water for?? This is great info.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo Ferrari View Post
    Thank you very much for the reply! So it's totally ok to submerge them in water? How long do you leave them in the water for?? This is great info.
    I take the chunks out with tongs and submerge until the frenetic bubbling settles down to a low level and toss them into a dry metal bowl. I've left a chunk or two overnight in the water, it won’t hurt it... no worries 😉 Hammers and fire are the enemy of charcoal ⚒🔥
    I don’t know why but this water thing has freaked out some of my friends when I’ve done it in front of them. I say, “I'm going to reuse this” which is followed by “wwwhat?!?”
    Now get out there and yakitori my friend!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian1 View Post
    Hmm might have to look more into this. Love cooking with charcoal
    The aramaru and sumi are very good, the sumi burns very hot and can be used to help light dense charcoal like aramaru and white binchotan. Try one of the small konros that Korin sells, great fun to grill small things at a table with friends. I use one of their larger konros ... I love that thing!

I just wish i'd find a way to ship both a krono and some binchotan to Israel.