Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which 210mm Gyuto Should I Buy?

In the case of the Konosuke Stainless, Ashi Stainless or even perhaps a Sakai Yusuke (Bluewayjapan on ebay) they are considered "laser" knives right? Would I be right in assuming they are a little more delicate compared to other beefier knives? The better question would be are they suited for the same cutting style as thicker gyuto's? I may have to leave them for a future purchase (after I buy a Nakiri, Lefty got me hooked on his!).

In my searching I couldn't find exactly how a laser is different just that they are, I would love to know why though.

Scott, if you want it, it's yours. As much as I love it, it doesn't get used much, and I think this forum has some good vibes going right now. I want to keep them going. PM me, man!

I just had a great idea. We can do a little passaround, since so many people haven't used a Yamawaku. It can make its rounds and settle at your place.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by scotts View Post
    In the case of the Konosuke Stainless, Ashi Stainless or even perhaps a Sakai Yusuke (Bluewayjapan on ebay) they are considered "laser" knives right? Would I be right in assuming they are a little more delicate compared to other beefier knives? The better question would be are they suited for the same cutting style as thicker gyuto's? I may have to leave them for a future purchase (after I buy a Nakiri, Lefty got me hooked on his!).

In my searching I couldn't find exactly how a laser is different just that they are, I would love to know why though.
    This link should help.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ighty-vs-Laser

That being said my Sakai yusuke doesn't feel delicate and I like it a lot.
    I also prefer wa handled. I have a misono ux10 western handle with saya that just sits in the box, but honestly that is probably because it's 210mm

"Laser" does not mean "Fragile" or even delicate. A good laser will slip through a potato like it's cutting through a mound of flour. You might not want to use a laser to cut really hard cheeses like Parmesan, but for the most part they can do anything a more robust knife can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    ... I have a misono ux10 western handle with saya that just sits in the box, but honestly that is probably because it's 210mm
    You two should do business together. It doesn't seem that long ago that Misono UX10 was one of The Knives to have.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    You two should do business together. It doesn't seem that long ago that Misono UX10 was one of The Knives to have.
    Honestly,the whole reason I haven't bothered with it yet is the whole photobucket thing. Bought it very early on in my knife progression from Korin. Agree it's a great knife. Had them professionally sharpen it before they sent it. Just decided I am a 270mm-300mm type of guy. Anyone that wants it. I will sell for 80% of listed price and throw in saya. If people want the pics or it didn't happen they can wait for the weekend when my wife can help or I can email interested people photos off my iPad.

Meh. I don't find the UX10 all that impressive. I would get the Kag VG10 of of your list. The Gekko is nice. Pro J is a nice cutter but I find the handles odd feeling and there's quite a belly on some models. The stain resistance is at least as good as your typical VG10. I'd recommend Suisin INOX.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Meh. I don't find the UX10 all that impressive. I would get the Kag VG10 of of your list. The Gekko is nice. Pro J is a nice cutter but I find the handles odd feeling and there's quite a belly on some models. The stain resistance is at least as good as your typical VG10. I'd recommend Suisin INOX.
    Ha ha certainly didn't start this as an offer thread TK. I hope he gets something from Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Out of curiosity why not the Kag VG10, is it the handle you dislike or the blade?

The Kagayaki VG-10 is a very nice knife. I have the WA Kagayaki and it amazes me what a good blade that is for the price.

Dave