Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sous vide clueless need help.

Sous vide clueless need help.

Clueless about sous vide but wanting to try it.

Any opinions on an enclosed sous vide like this

http://www.amazon.com/SousVide-Supre.../dp/B003AYZIB4

vs a circulator like this

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/produ...al-circulator/

Also any opinions on vacuum sealer that can seal liquids without turning them into ice cubes first or are some of you just making the ice cubes.

You will need a chamber vacuum sealer to be able to seal liquids and other neat things. This model is basically where they start and you can go all the way up to $5k easy if you want.

If you have to take up counter space with the chamber sealer, then save some space by getting the circulator, which you can put away and store easily. Not to mention that they actually circulate the water, unlike the water oven which is basically a steam table with more precise thermostat.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    You will need a chamber vacuum sealer to be able to seal liquids and other neat things. This model is basically where they start and you can go all the way up to $5k easy if you want.

If you have to take up counter space with the chamber sealer, then save some space by getting the circulator, which you can put away and store easily. Not to mention that they actually circulate the water, unlike the water oven which is basically a steam table with more precise thermostat.
    Thanks for the link looks good. Found this one on amazon but don't know how good it is, but a little cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/VacMaster-Port...owViewpoints=1

The circulator that you can put away when you aren't using makes sense and from your statement seems to be a better quality way to sous vide. I appreciate your comments. This is uncharted territory for me and definitely something I want to do.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ok clueless here too. So I can't just get a walmart vac. sealer and go from there? (I am very cheap.) Or does the chamber needed to do a more though job sealing/pressurizing the food?

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Ok clueless here too. So I can't just get a walmart vac. sealer and go from there? (I am very cheap.) Or does the chamber needed to do a more though job sealing/pressurizing the food?
    With my very limited research it appears cheaper sealers you need to make marinades etc into ice cubes to put in the bag for sealing. The better vacuum sealers will seal with liquids. Brought the topic up hear because there is a vast resource of knowledge here on something I really want to start doing.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Last time I was at wally world they had quite a few out. I just thought about it then. I also saw a site that was talking about using a crock pot for the cooking. But I don't think it will be very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    Last time I was at wally world they had quite a few out. I just thought about it then. I also saw a site that was talking about using a crock pot for the cooking. But I don't think it will be very accurate.
    Yep read about people doing it that way. I don't want to go too low tech. I want something nice, but not sky is the limit nice

There are plenty of budget ways to go about it and you can get similar results. A pump sealer is way cheaper and also doesn't take up a ton of counter space, but you are limited in some of the things you can seal. You can also get thermostat controllers that you can use on crock pots, slow cookers or steam tables.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    There are plenty of budget ways to go about it and you can get similar results. A pump sealer is way cheaper and also doesn't take up a ton of counter space, but you are limited in some of the things you can seal. You can also get thermostat controllers that you can use on crock pots, slow cookers or steam tables.
    The sealer you linked to looks good guess I will debate between that an the amazon one and I can get a circulator like the one I linked to. I don't mind spending somewhere under $2000, obviously a little cheaper is even better,between sealer and sous vide I just don't want to buy something that turns out to be junk. I am sure there are a lot of home cooks doing sous vide on the forum. Just wondering what they are happy with. I hate being a guinea pig when I can learn from the collective wisdom.

Michael Ruhlman said on his blog a little while back his bag of choice is a ziploc.

This