Quantcast
Sous vide clueless need help. - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sous vide clueless need help.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac View Post
    I aswell have the poly science unit. Find it great for sous at home. Yeah u will have to cover the plastic lexan if you want to get it to max temp.
    I just use a stock pot, find it more efficient.

As far as vacuum sealer vs chamber vac. Question is how serious are you about this cooking method. Do you want to invest a lot of money in one?
    Yeah theres pro's and con's to both. i use a vacuum sealer at home. I can't sous liquids or compress fruit. But I'm ok with that.

At the restaurant i have a Chamber Vac that can do everything you want. Its nice but it was 3800$ . Yeah theres cheaper ones that are good for home.

I would say just try a vacuum sealer for 100-200$, try it. See how it works, practice your technique. Then if it works well your good. Or sell it and for the chamber Vac.
    Thanks for your input. Poly science it will be. Guess I will mull over vacuum sealer suggestions and appreciate all of them. I don't want to get carried away more than necessary, but certainly want to get the job done for the least for the highest quality. I take the sous vide technique and cooking in general very seriously. I greatly enjoy my cooking and so do others. If it means investing more within reason to get better quality it is worth it to me. I will mainly be focused on proteins and collagen breakdown, but I am sure as I use it I will want to try more and more techniques. An earlier suggestion mentioned higher quality vacuum sealers have less deformation of scallops, etc. which matters to me.

Polyscience has also launched an IPAD app to take the guess work out of cooking sous vide....it is a thermal conductivity application thatt allows you to
    put in several parameters lik kind of protein, thickness of the protein, desired temp, etc and gives you a very accurete guidline for cooking proteins. I believe it was $4.99 and worth it if you cook sous vide often.

Quote Originally Posted by Line cooked View Post
    Polyscience has also launched an IPAD app to take the guess work out of cooking sous vide....it is a thermal conductivity application thatt allows you to
    put in several parameters lik kind of protein, thickness of the protein, desired temp, etc and gives you a very accurete guidline for cooking proteins. I believe it was $4.99 and worth it if you cook sous vide often.
    Wow, that's cool I will get that thanks for the tip.!

Deckhand, I would definitely go with the Vac chamber before the poly-sci. Using a crock-pot PID will cost $200 as opposed to $800 for the poly-sci. The chamber is more critical than the water bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Deckhand, I would definitely go with the Vac chamber before the poly-sci. Using a crock-pot PID will cost $200 as opposed to $800 for the poly-sci. The chamber is more critical than the water bath.
    Seems like the vac master has good ratings combined with a poly-sci circulator seems like a good combination from my limited knowledge. Poly sci vs Sous vide supreme seem like only reasonable choices for the sous vide aspect.The vac master you recommended looks good for the vacuum sealer aspect.

I have the vacmaster and the sous vide supreme and love both. They work always and get great results. Couldn't recommend more.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrano View Post
    I have the vacmaster and the sous vide supreme and love both. They work always and get great results. Couldn't recommend more.
    Thanks for your comments. I feel a lot more secure in purchases with this thread. It has been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Sous Vide primer here, Part I. There is a second part too. HTH.

http://www.cookingissues.com/primers...and-sous-vide/

-AJ
    Very interesting that sous vide is actually under vacuum as opposed to low temperature cooking as the term is often used.

Decided on vacmaster vp215, and sous vide professional. Anyone use the cambro cut out lid?

I have the Cambro lid. Slick as all get out. Good about vac master but not sure why you would choose the 215 over the VP112? You must have a very large kitchen? Remember that you will be less likely to use something that isn't convenient. That is a serious machine though. I went back and fourth on them but decided on the 112 and couldn't be happier. Also remember that you will rarely use max pressure. Most of the time is 60 to 80 % of the maximum available pressure.