Peaches Peaches Peaches

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metzger

Reaction score
Besides making some knives I grow peaches, and we peel a lot of peaches every year. I was just wondering what knife design you would recommend for peeling peaches with a picture or drawing if possible and the type of handle you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like to use a vintage Henckels birds beak paring knife, it fits the curve of the peach perfectly.

paring.jpg

I like taking a Kyocera birdsbeak parer to the local orchards. The Kyocera is ceramic, and doesn't necessarily need to be wiped immediately ...

Um... no knife and a pot of boiling water?

-AJ

+1, we do a lot of canning, this is by far the best route. But...my 3.5 inch Pierre Rodrigue works pretty good too.

a funayuki...after boiling in earth juice:biggrin:

Last edited:
Sheepsfoot 3 1/2 inch to 4 western handle wood.
somewhere along this line.
09czB.jpg
[/IMG]

Great ideas everyone, keep it up. Rodrique is so beautiful. Messermeister - didn't know that would work! I thought some might say a petty. David

I really have yet to find a birds beak I like. I like a more forward start at the handle. here is somewhat what I would use. With a longer blade about 2x and larger handle.
2-1-2-birds-beak-paring-knife-with-riveted-pom-handle.jpg

I would use a petty for just a few or boiling water for many.

I would imagine a bird's beak is gonna be best for this. I'd probably use a petty but I can't say I've ever peeled a peach.

No suji's? XD

I'd use boiling water for large amounts and a 150 petty or my global tourne knife, Bit of a shallower, longer curve

Sheepsfoot 3 1/2 inch to 4...
I too like this for peeling about anything.
Need me one in single-bevel. I wouldn't suggest producing that particular preference to the masses, although it may go over well here.

I use a pairing knife for almost everything in-hand, unless I can get away with a tourne. My mom on the other hand will only use a sheepsfoot. She says the flat blade gives her more control. Maybe I gotta make a switch.

Interesting. I figure you're gonna have good control as long as the blade is relatively narrow. The design is all about getting more peel of per stroke, thus curve is worse than flat is worse than recurve.

Agreed Tinh, but that assumes the surface is uniformly concave. Elsewise the recurve may be gouging another area, or requiring very small cuts to avoid doing so.
Hence the preference for the flat surface. I find it better all-around and I only allot 1 slot for a little fella.

To each his own on this function No doubt, and I am surely in the minority, but that's what makes this place great... The variety of perspective.

I have a tojiro senkou birds beak and a hattori FH paring that I can send you to look at if it helps. Pm if you need to take a look at them. That being said Rodrigue has made some nice ones both standard and sheepsfoot.

I have two answers. If I used a knife I would use my Pierre sheep's foot parer, BUT I don't. For thin skinned things like peaches, tomatoes, and kiwi I use my Messermeister serrated peeler.

k.

I have two answers. If I used a knife I would use my Pierre sheep's foot parer, BUT I don't. For thin skinned things like peaches, tomatoes, and kiwi I use my Messermeister serrated peeler.

k.
:D

Good call deckhand, I just looked up thread and saw your response. I'm amazed at how well that serrated peeler works. Much less fruit loss than using a knife and unless you peel a boat load of fruit and are well practiced, it will be much quicker.

BUT...if one is looking for an excuse to buy a knife, the peeler solution is HORRIBLE. It will not satisfy any knife urges :)

k.

Does the serrated peeler not leave a texture behind? I only really use peelers for carrots, squash and occasionally apples. I may also need to atleast try one, can always find someone who can use it.

** texture may not always matter in the final product. I just don't like it..

Good call deckhand, I just looked up thread and saw your response. I'm amazed at how well that serrated peeler works. Much less fruit loss than using a knife and unless you peel a boat load of fruit and are well practiced, it will be much quicker.

BUT...if one is looking for an excuse to buy a knife, the peeler solution is HORRIBLE. It will not satisfy any knife urges :)

k.

I never need an excuse to buy another knife:biggrin:
Although stiction followed by release has gotten me doing radish mushrooms. Still looking for a solution.

Does the serrated peeler not leave a texture behind? I only really use peelers for carrots, squash and occasionally apples. I may also need to atleast try one, can always find someone who can use it.

** texture may not always matter in the final product. I just don't like it..

Yeah, a little bit. Most of the times it doesn't matter, but I can see if you want nice clean cuts that the peeler is not the best option.

k.

Back