Quantcast
Peaches Peaches Peaches - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Peaches Peaches Peaches

I use a pairing knife for almost everything in-hand, unless I can get away with a tourne. My mom on the other hand will only use a sheepsfoot. She says the flat blade gives her more control. Maybe I gotta make a switch.
    Am I the only one who searched for The Edge from U2 and ended up here?

Interesting. I figure you're gonna have good control as long as the blade is relatively narrow. The design is all about getting more peel of per stroke, thus curve is worse than flat is worse than recurve.

Agreed Tinh, but that assumes the surface is uniformly concave. Elsewise the recurve may be gouging another area, or requiring very small cuts to avoid doing so.
    Hence the preference for the flat surface. I find it better all-around and I only allot 1 slot for a little fella.

To each his own on this function No doubt, and I am surely in the minority, but that's what makes this place great... The variety of perspective.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

I have a tojiro senkou birds beak and a hattori FH paring that I can send you to look at if it helps. Pm if you need to take a look at them. That being said Rodrigue has made some nice ones both standard and sheepsfoot.

I have two answers. If I used a knife I would use my Pierre sheep's foot parer, BUT I don't. For thin skinned things like peaches, tomatoes, and kiwi I use my Messermeister serrated peeler.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I have two answers. If I used a knife I would use my Pierre sheep's foot parer, BUT I don't. For thin skinned things like peaches, tomatoes, and kiwi I use my Messermeister serrated peeler.

k.

Good call deckhand, I just looked up thread and saw your response. I'm amazed at how well that serrated peeler works. Much less fruit loss than using a knife and unless you peel a boat load of fruit and are well practiced, it will be much quicker.

BUT...if one is looking for an excuse to buy a knife, the peeler solution is HORRIBLE. It will not satisfy any knife urges

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Does the serrated peeler not leave a texture behind? I only really use peelers for carrots, squash and occasionally apples. I may also need to atleast try one, can always find someone who can use it.

** texture may not always matter in the final product. I just don't like it..
    It's not the Answer it's the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Good call deckhand, I just looked up thread and saw your response. I'm amazed at how well that serrated peeler works. Much less fruit loss than using a knife and unless you peel a boat load of fruit and are well practiced, it will be much quicker.

BUT...if one is looking for an excuse to buy a knife, the peeler solution is HORRIBLE. It will not satisfy any knife urges

k.
    I never need an excuse to buy another knife
    Although stiction followed by release has gotten me doing radish mushrooms. Still looking for a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooMajik View Post
    Does the serrated peeler not leave a texture behind? I only really use peelers for carrots, squash and occasionally apples. I may also need to atleast try one, can always find someone who can use it.

** texture may not always matter in the final product. I just don't like it..
    Yeah, a little bit. Most of the times it doesn't matter, but I can see if you want nice clean cuts that the peeler is not the best option.

k.