Yamawaku Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
5 people, as selected by me. You MUST be a person with some "history", or just be a cool dude. I'm sick of writing threatening messages to get knives sent forward. ;)
I think I only have one pic, so here it is. BUT, you all know what a Nakiri looks like, and it has a burnt chestnut handle. It's a crappy pic, so for that, I'm sorry. Haha

39b0f8bd.jpg

The only stipulation, really is that you can't keep it for too log, cuz Scott deserves his new knife!

Well, I'm curious and would like to try it out :) If there are a lot of folks who want to try this though, have someone who's new to nakiri take my spot :)

I would love to try out a Nakari. 4 days max (unless the 4th day ends up being on a sat) is all I would keep it. Can't keep a man from his new knife for very long.

I would be very interested in this also, although I will be out of town for most of June, so I'm not sure if the timing would work out.

Nobody else is curious about a Yamawaku? Dang, you guys suck! ;)

I'd like very much to give it a spin. I'm a big nakiri fan and as I've posted before, I use mine for the majority of my knife work in the kitchen. Don't have any real depth of experience with other makers though and would welcome the opportunity to try something new.

I am interested, but honestly didn't respond at first because I felt bad keeping someone away from their new knife even for a few days.

Alright guys, I think we're good here. I'll put a little list out in a day or so.
Thanks everyone :)

Dang. Missed it. Put up some detailed reviews, please! :)

We can make room, Tinh. You're one that I really want to give it a go.

Alright, the list is longer than I had hoped, but the rules are the same as always: insured, signature upon receipt and tracking is optional, but if it disappears after you had it, you buy Scott a Carter SFGZ Nakiri (right, Scott? ;))

It goes:

echerub,
Crothcipt,
chifunda,
Pesky/TK, (we all know how you guys roll)
Deckhand,
VoodooMajik, then home to
Scott

Sorry, Erik, we just couldn't make it happen timewise. Next time I do a passaround, you're in.

Alright, the list is longer than I had hoped, but the rules are the same as always: insured, signature upon receipt and tracking is optional, but if it disappears after you had it, you buy Scott a Carter SFGZ Nakiri (right, Scott? ;))

It goes:

echerub,
Crothcipt,
chifunda,
Pesky/TK, (we all know how you guys roll)
Deckhand,
VoodooMajik, then home to
Scott

Sorry, Erik, we just couldn't make it happen timewise. Next time I do a passaround, you're in.

Should be interesting to see some reviews. Is it the one sold by 330mate?

Yup, as far as I know, 330mate is the only real source. It's actually too bad, because I think it's a good quality knife at a fantastic price. I hope the guys are all pleasantly surprised.

No problem! I figured it probably wouldn't work out, so I'll just live vicariously through the reviews and photos everyone else posts! :thumbsup:

cool cant wait to try it out. Have been eyeing one for a while.

Very generous of you to include me in the pass around. :danke: Looking forward to comparing it's performance to that of my Harner nakiri.

if it was a gyuto, I would love to try it as I have been curious about gifting that brand to friends to get them into knives. I would love to see a review about it since it is the same steel and should perform similarly.

Yeeeaaahhh :wink:

Thanks again Lefty, I really really appreciate this.

This knife will get shipped out tomorrow, to echerub. Sorry, but I doubt I'll have time to sharpen it up. If I do, I will, but who knows ;)

Hey, leave that edge alone - don't deprive me of the experience of sharpening that edge ;)

Okay, the knife arrived on Monday :) I *just* finished sharpening it up: Beston 500, SS 1k, SS3k, Gesshin 5k, Ohira Tomae.

My initial thought when I picked up the knife was that it has a lower profile height than my other nakiri and that it felt a little front-heavy. However, when I picked up my other 4 nakiri for a direct comparison, the Yamawaku is a little shorter height-wise, but weight and balance wise it's good. In fact, every single one of the nakiri - my 4 and the Yamawaku - feels different weight and balance-wise.

Putting it on the stones from coarse on up, the steel feels okay. Not particularly fast to work on, at least with these stones, but not slow either. Burr was a little tenacious off the 500 and 1k. Not stubborn per se, but took a second round through the felt block and felt strop to get it off.

Paper-testing the edge it's alright. Push cuts through the paper a-ok from 3k onwards. Not the slinkiest through the paper, but let's see how it performs with food.

I intend to go through a whole whackload of veggies for a big pot of oxtail soup tomorrow evening :) I'll let you know my thoughts!

I'm excited to hear what you think :)

Back