Quantcast
Yamawaku Nakiri - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamawaku Nakiri

Very generous of you to include me in the pass around. Looking forward to comparing it's performance to that of my Harner nakiri.

Quote Originally Posted by Chifunda View Post
    Very generous of you to include me in the pass around. Looking forward to comparing it's performance to that of my Harner nakiri.
    That Harner is nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    That Harner is nice!
    Thanks! It really is an amazing knife.

if it was a gyuto, I would love to try it as I have been curious about gifting that brand to friends to get them into knives. I would love to see a review about it since it is the same steel and should perform similarly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Alright, the list is longer than I had hoped, but the rules are the same as always: insured, signature upon receipt and tracking is optional, but if it disappears after you had it, you buy Scott a Carter SFGZ Nakiri (right, Scott? )
    Yeeeaaahhh

Thanks again Lefty, I really really appreciate this.

This knife will get shipped out tomorrow, to echerub. Sorry, but I doubt I'll have time to sharpen it up. If I do, I will, but who knows
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Hey, leave that edge alone - don't deprive me of the experience of sharpening that edge
    Len

Okay, the knife arrived on Monday I *just* finished sharpening it up: Beston 500, SS 1k, SS3k, Gesshin 5k, Ohira Tomae.

My initial thought when I picked up the knife was that it has a lower profile height than my other nakiri and that it felt a little front-heavy. However, when I picked up my other 4 nakiri for a direct comparison, the Yamawaku is a little shorter height-wise, but weight and balance wise it's good. In fact, every single one of the nakiri - my 4 and the Yamawaku - feels different weight and balance-wise.

Putting it on the stones from coarse on up, the steel feels okay. Not particularly fast to work on, at least with these stones, but not slow either. Burr was a little tenacious off the 500 and 1k. Not stubborn per se, but took a second round through the felt block and felt strop to get it off.

Paper-testing the edge it's alright. Push cuts through the paper a-ok from 3k onwards. Not the slinkiest through the paper, but let's see how it performs with food.

I intend to go through a whole whackload of veggies for a big pot of oxtail soup tomorrow evening I'll let you know my thoughts!
    Len

I'm excited to hear what you think
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread