Quantcast
Yamawaku Nakiri - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamawaku Nakiri

Alright, first-round experience with the knife tonight!

I diced up bunch of carrots, celery, tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers and sectioned up a whackload of tomatoes. I think the knife takes a nice edge - certainly no problems with tomato skins and pepper skins even though I did them pretty much last. However, I think the profile height and the flat-ground geometry towards the edge keep this nakiri from being the best it could be.

In terms of the geometry, the blade reminds me of my Takedas but is considerably thicker. Practically slab-sided faces from spine to at least the halfway mark, and then flat ground from there to the edge. The "slab sides" aren't entirely perpendicular to the cutting surface, there's some taper, but very little. I think the Takedas get away with this approach because of the overall thinness of the blades. The Yamawaku, however, ends up wedging through hard veggies like carrots. You can hear them cracking rather than getting cleanly cut. For tonight's mix of veggies, I only noticed it on the carrots. The Takeda has a bit of this too, which is why the Takeda nakiri wouldn't be my first choice for carrots either.

Whether it's a function of the geometry or the finish, I have to say that the knife did wonderfully well with Russet potatoes. No sticktion issues at all. Maybe I should try out some Yukon Golds to see how they do

Onion, tomatoes, no problems.

The profile height thing is purely a matter of personal preference. Comparing with my other nakiri, there's about a 3-5mm difference in height. Technically not a big difference, but somehow it made a difference in feel. I know I prefer taller blades in general, even with gyutos, so this may not be anything at all for other users.

I'd like to go through some more veggies and spend a bit more board time with the knife, but those are my initial impressions from tonight!
    Len

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I received this today, along with the Harner that is being passed around. I will post stuff later this week.

I have just a few days with the Harner. Can't keep the knife from its new owner.

A Harner vs. a Yamawaku? It's a great blade, but C'mon! A Harner is a Harner! Ha
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    I received this today, along with the Harner that is being passed around. I will post stuff later this week.

I have just a few days with the Harner. Can't keep the knife from its new owner.
    You've got me confused. AFAIK, the Harner doesn't have a new owner, it's the Yamawaku that does. At least I hope so ...

Rick

Rick,

I hired a guy to steal your knife and give it to me.

I'm sorry,
    Lefty

09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Rick,

I hired a guy to steal your knife and give it to me.

I'm sorry,
    Lefty

Well, at least it will have a good home ...

Oh man I hope I don't send the wrong knife to the wrong person.

Wait that would mean to the right person.

You get what I mean.

Wow talk about a gem of a knife. First of all I have never used a Nakiri, or even seen one other than pics. I never noticed that there is a 45 degree angle from the spine to the edge, sweeping back to the handle.

When I opened the box there was some orange rust on the san-mai, that came off with a little bit of washing with soap came right off. Looking up this knife and prices I was amazed with the fit and finish. For less than 100 can't be beat. Loved the feeling, and texture of the burnt chestnut handle was nice.

The edge came very sharp. In fact I had a co-worker check out the edge and he turned chicken and put it right down. It took some time to get used to the shape of the blade. Having Butches knife here too took some time away from this knife. But it was a fun debate to have. Here is a couple pics I took making a veg. soup the other night.

All in all I am very pleased and happy to have been a part of this pass a round. I will be looking at buying one of these, some time in the future. Hopefully in the morning it will be off to Chifunda if I get to the post office in time.

there are more pics. in a folder under my profile.

I went to send this out today, and budget cuts for the post office, the one by my apartment is closed on sat. So off it will go on Mon.