Quantcast
Yamawaku Nakiri - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamawaku Nakiri

So here I am in the middle of a comparison test between Rick's Harner nakiri and my own and now I have the Yamawaku to test drive? I believe this is what's known as an embarrassment of riches. I'm gonna have to hijack a produce truck.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Know what you mean. It's a good thing too.

The Yamawaku arrived in yesterday's mail but I was out of the kitchen all day and haven't used it yet. Will get down to business and post my impressions ASAP.

Update?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Engorged Member
    I have the knife....

The knife came and it had(has) very minor issues. The knife has slight recurves/holes along the edge when it is edge down on the board. I will leave that for Lefty to sharpen out.

I feel that on knives like these the KU finish comes across as an inexpensive alternative to a proper finish and used to cover up forging issues. Its a personal thing I guess.

The knife is fairly thin, which aides its cutting. One of the things I don't like is ,because of the thin geometry, there isn't much of a primary bevel.

It's a good cutter, needs to be a bit heavier.

On the whole, it's a good knife.

Lefty, shoot me a PM with next in line's name and address and I'll put it in the mail to them.

Pesky

My apologies for failing to report my impressions of the Yamawaku in a timely fashion. My wife has been down with a very nasty salivary gland infection (who knew there was such a thing?) and I've gotten a little behind.

I noticed the same problems with the edge that Pesky refers to, but they are minor and since I'm reluctant to take someone else's knife to the stones, I simply stropped on chromium oxide charged leather and went to work.

I found it very pleasant to use, although the size and weight took some getting used to; my Harner is both longer and heavier. Can't really make up my mind on the kurouchi finish, although it does seem to help avoid the dreaded stiction when cutting potatoes. I agree that it's done as a cost cutting measure, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as you don't object to the appearance on esthetic grounds.

No problems cutting most everything I tried it on, with the exception of some monster carrots that I think were grown out near the old nuclear test site. Did experience some wedging here which I attribute to blade geometry. The blade has no taper that I could detect from the spine down to the point where the bevel begins.

My first experience with a burnt chestnut handle and I must say, I rather liked it.

All in all, a nice cutter, especially considering the price. I'd rate it as a heck of a deal.

+1 on the burnt chestnut. My first time with it too. It gave a texture that if wet it wouldn't be slipping, and still comfortable in the hand.

I wasn't sure if that was a over grind or not. I did try to get a pic of it but it was at a odd angel and wouldn't work well with the focus.
    Chewie's the man.

Thanks for the review, guys!

As for the recurve, could someone maybe take and post a pic of the issue? This one was "dent-free", originally, but I didn't inspect it closely before sending it out to you crazy SOBs.

Pesky, if Tinh wants a go with the knife, let him have a chance, and better yet:
    Tinh, if you do take part, could you PLEASE fix the issue? It won't be coming back to me, before if makes its way to Scott.

Thanks again, for the reviews, and I'm glad everyone is pleasantly surprised
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

It's not that noticeable. Can't notice it when cutting.
    Chewie's the man.

Might be easier for Tinh to just bring it to WCG and save on shipping hassles.

+ Reply to Thread