Quantcast
Yamawaku Nakiri - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Yamawaku Nakiri

I'll see about fixing any issues and then bring it to the WCG unless I get it done really soon. If that's the case, I'll send it off early since I need to get some stuff shipped soon, anyway.

My early impression of this knife is positive. It cuts very well and fit and finish seems to be pretty nice. He handle is set too close to the choil making it feel a little odd. If I had to guess, I would say it used to cut better, OOTB. It is thicker than it needs to be near the edge, like sharpening was done mostly at the edge without the requisite thinning of the secondary bevels. I was surprised the the cutting edge is righty-biased, coming from Lefty but I guess that the OOTB geometry was being preserved. There is a very slight hole in the edge an a few tiny chips. With Lefty/Scotts permission, I think I'd like the thin the secondary bevel out a bit before resharpening the cutting edge. The risk would be that uneveness in the grind of the secondary bevel will be exposed. As far as the faux kuro-uchi finish is concerned, I like it. It is fairly clean looking, prevents corrosion problems and it does not come off onto food, etc.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Ya I liked it better than the finish I have on my Tanaka santoku. Just because of that knife I want a Nakiri.
    Chewie's the man.

Alright. I have to be quick, cuz I also have to be up in like 4 hours. Dang!

But, TK, you're right, I kept the geometry as it was, because it didn't negatively affect anything for me (I never noticed sticking), and I basically just sharpened the edge, cleaned up the secondary bevel and left it alone. Feel free to thin it out, especially if you feel it's for the best.

I'm glad everyone has been pleasantly surprised with the little guy. I kinda miss it, but I know Scott is going to love it and give it more attention than I ever would.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Just a quick update: I passed this knife off to Deckhand at the WCG after a bit of thinning, refinishing and sharpening. I didn't get a chance to cut anything with it after thinning but I like it a lot! The grind was pretty nice and even, too.

Tinh, your endorsement means a lot, and so does your extra effort, in fixing it!
    Thank you very much, and I'm really glad you had a good time with the knife!
    So, here's the question. Would you (all of you who've tried it) buy one? I have a theory we might start seeing more of these knives around.
    09/06

I thought it was worthy of a rehandle (plastic ferrule). If the quality is consistent, I think there's no reason it shouldn't be in the running for best buy.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I thought it was worthy of a rehandle (plastic ferrule). If the quality is consistent, I think there's no reason it shouldn't be in the running for best buy.
    I agree, 100%!
    09/06

I'm so-so on the knife, primarily because of the feel and slightly lower profile height. None of the factors I can think of are major in and of themselves, but together I can't say I felt particularly comfortable with it. I wouldn't get one myself nor would I specifically recommend the Yamawaku nakiri because of that, but I also have no objective reason to actually dissuade anyone from getting one.
    Len

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    It is on my list to get. I keep looking at others, and am still going back to this one. thx again for the opportunity to use this one.
    Chewie's the man.

+ Reply to Thread