Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cpms35vn

so far i like s35vn better then s30v but i still need more testing to see (i can tell you this tho i have no plans on swapping from the cpm154 cause i still like it better)
    now that said i can make a blade for some one out of jsut about any steel i can get bar or sheet stock of

Butch,
    What is it that you prefer about CPM154?
    Could you compare the pros and cons of both, in your opinion?

I've been contemplating those Thomas Haslinger Chef knives for a while now.. can't bring myself to pull the trigger! :biggrin2:

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Butch,
    What is it that you prefer about CPM154?
    Could you compare the pros and cons of both, in your opinion?

Don't mean to speak for Butch, but cpm154 takes a nice finish whereas S30V is notorious for being very difficult to get a nice finish on. If you are a knifemaker it helps if your stuff looks good. cpm154 is easier to sharpen, easier to grind and just overall less unpleasant to work with.

I've read up on it a fair bit, and the niobium is supposed to make it much easier to work with, compared to s30vn and one hell of a lot easier to sharpen!
    I'm guessing cpm154 is still easier, as you said, but I wonder which is a better performer once the customer gets it in his hands.
    I grew up using My dad's pro henckels from the 70s, so I still love a knife that can take some serious work!
    I'm hoping s35vn is close to a perfect mix between rugged and hard and fine grained enough to get wicked sharp.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Don't know anything about that steel, but the handles and saya pictured above are great!

Look at

http://www.crucible.com/PDFs/%5CData...VNrev12010.pdf

They give information including toughness, edge retention, and a good lesson on carbides in steels.

I like the Warther website and my knife nuttiness has me wanting to get one of their 9" Chef knives which uses this steel.
    The price is good but the shipping is a little steep. &%#@* these oil prices.

hmm, well pierre is making me a knife from cpms35v so we will see. I believe I am not sure I own a knife in cpm-154. Hey Butch want to help me out on that?

[QUOTE=Lefty;9298]I've read up on it a fair bit, and the niobium is supposed to make it much easier to work with...QUOTE]

I don't know about that. I have a niobium alloy (Niolox/sb1) blade that seems to be quite wear resistant.