XO sauce

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone here make XO sauce and have a good recipe/method? I've taken a few cracks at it, but I'm missing something. I use dried shrimp, dried scallops, garlic, ginger, chilis, cured ham, oil, spices (tried 5 spice), but I'm not getting that deep carmelized brown color that I'm looking for. Anyone use bean pastes/femented beans?

This is a good one I have used in the past, I substituted proscuitto in the recipe as it is closest to chinese ham, you can also use a dry authentic smithfield ham. This ham is often times found a lot in chinese markets hanging in the butcher department in muslin bags, thats the one you want not the wet ham in plastic. this is an authentic recipe, if you want the rich brown, velvety sauce add some soy sauce and a little cornstarch. Every restaurant has their own recipe and they are closely guarded secrets. enjoy

XO sauce

Serves 0
Cooking Time Prep time 30 mins, cook 40 mins

25 gm dried scallops
75 gm dried prawns
250 ml (1 cup) vegetable oil, or just enough to cover all the ingredients
75 gm garlic (about 20 cloves), finely chopped
75 gm red shallots (about 6), finely chopped
50 gm jamón or prosciutto, finely shredded
25 gm fresh long red chillies (about 6), seeded and finely chopped
15 gm dried long red chillies, seeded, soaked and finely chopped
7 gm dried birdseye chillies, finely chopped
5 gm roasted shrimp paste (belacan; see note)
2 tbsp dried shrimp roe, crumbled (see note; optional)
15 gm palm or hard lump cane sugar also known as jaggery, candy sugar or sugar, or to taste. it comes in brown, lumps,cones or flat blocks.

1 Soak dried scallops and dried prawns separately in 125ml hot water each until plump (preferably overnight).
2 Drain scallops (reserve soaking water), tear them into fine shreds, pat dry on absorbent paper and set aside. Drain prawns (reserve water), chop them finely and set aside.
3 Heat half the oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat, add scallops and deep-fry until very crisp (1-2 minutes; cover with lid as they may spit). Drain well, reserve oil. Wipe out wok with absorbent paper, add reserved oil and remaining oil and return to medium heat.
4 Add garlic, shallots and dried prawns and stir continuously until golden brown (4-5 minutes).
5 Add jamón, fresh chilli and dried chilli, fry for a few seconds (be careful, it may burn easily), then add shrimp paste, fried scallops and reserved scallop and prawn water and stir continuously for a few more seconds.
6 Add remaining ingredients and a pinch of salt and stir occasionally until fragrant and water has completely evaporated (20-30 minutes). Remove from heat, strain (reserve oil), transfer solids to a sterile jar, then pour in enough reserved oil to cover. Makes about 2 cups. XO sauce will keep refrigerated in a sealed container for 1 month.

Note This recipe makes about 500gm. You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead. To roast shrimp paste, wrap in aluminium foil and roast at 200C until fragrant (4-5 minutes). Dried shrimp roe is available from Asian grocers.

you're not roasting it enough. it will caramelize it just takes time, go slow, keep stirring. you are using the right ingredients ) though I would skip the spices. Just let it roast

Here's something I saved, but haven't tried myself yet:

Makes about 3 cups (720ml)

2 cups (480ml) peanut oil
4.5oz (130g) shallots, minced (1/4 cup)
3oz (80g) garlic, minced (1/2 cup)
6.5oz (180g) dried scallops, reconstituted, torn into flakes
3oz (80g) Jinhua ham, small dice
2.5oz (75g) dried small shrimp (xia mi), reconstituted & minced
2 fresh red chili peppers, seeds removed, sliced
1tbsp dried shrimp eggs (xia zi)

For seasoning:
1/4 cup (60ml) liquid from reconstituted dried scallops
2tsp salt
2tsp sugar

Season wok and add 1/2 cup of peanut oil over low heat. Stir-fry shallots & garlic over low heat until fragrant but not browned. Transfer contents including oil to a bowl; set aside.

Heat 1 cup (240ml) of peanut oil, stir fry reconstituted scallop flakes. Add to previous bowl; set aside.

Wash wok and add remaining oil, stir fry Jinhua ham, reconstituted minced shrimp, chili, and reserved oil mixture. Stir-fry until ingredients are slightly translucent. Add all seasoning ingredients.

Add the shrimp eggs, stir-fry briefly, and remove from heat. Keeps for a week in the fridge.

... wondering how this one's going to get the caramelized color with the given directions.

That's awesome, thanks for the recipes. I'm following the on in mastering the art of chinese cooking. I got my scallops and shrimp roe etc ready to go when I have time.

Thanks for the tips! I'll try another batch this weekend and let you know how it goes? Will definitely try increasing the cook time to get the color.

Back