Quantcast
Holy carp, I mean Mahi!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holy carp, I mean Mahi!

Holy carp, I mean Mahi!

Finally made a new vid. PC on the fritz so it's become a real pain to make em. Tried some new software and it helped a little. Not much but hey I'm in full HD now!! Anyway just a small mahi I did recently.

Thanks for watching again.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Sweet video!!!

What knife did you use?

Good video, as always.

Nice! I've done Mahi up to around 16-17# before. Unfortunately, I do more Mahi than Tuna, but at least we get some meat from our fishing trips! The thin fillets and big bloodline kinda make them a pain to fillet. I'll do Tuna over Mahi any day!!

Konosuke 270mm mioroshi deba.

And yeah if the mahi are smaller like this one it can be tricky to get nice filets. You cant go too deep into the bloodline or they will seperate. On a larger mahi you just separate the two halves and filet them individually but that doesn't work well on the smaller guys portion wise.

Nice video. I for one love dorado and will trade my yellowfin any day for dorado. I like wahoo,dorado,and white sea bass. Usually keep my bluefin though. I have money being spent on too many different things right now and you keep doing videos of your mioroshi deba. Every time I see that I want to buy one.

Thanks for the video...quite educational for someone who has never used a deba--or any single bevel knife for that matter. I noticed that you use both sides of the knife depending on the cut direction which is something I didn't associate with a single bevel...figured you had to keep moving things around to 'work with the knife,' makes me think I need a deba myself.

Nice video, Rick. I like Mahi, unfortunately that's the fish you get most often dry and overcooked out here, and very often people don't spend enough time on cleaning the blood line - at least in the affordable restaurants... And I like the little slit in the tail to grab the fillet - so easy but I never thought of it (not that I had many opportunities to take larger fish apart...). I was wondering: In the vids of dissecting larger tunas, I saw the guys scraping off the meat that was left on the bone with a spoon, maybe for farces or tartar? Would you do that with mahi also? Or maybe only with bigger ones?

Stefan

Sure yeah you could use the scrape for ceviche, or makizushi, maybe a mousse or farce. In fact sometimes I do. Just didn't have a use for it at this time.

I took as much of the bloodline out as I was comfortable with on this one. Any more and the belly section can seperate during cooking. That's why the larger filets are better in this regard. You can just split them down the center and completely remove all of the bloodline. But whatever, the little guys are tasty too. Just dont overcook them.

thx for NEW video !

please tell me some info about these light-yellow boards, how old they are, where they are sold ?

I think they are from Japan..

+ Reply to Thread