Media Holy carp, I mean Mahi!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
Finally made a new vid. PC on the fritz so it's become a real pain to make em. Tried some new software and it helped a little. Not much but hey I'm in full HD now!! Anyway just a small mahi I did recently.

[video=youtube;M0PFidD8Xdo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0PFidD8Xdo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks for watching again.

Nice! I've done Mahi up to around 16-17# before. Unfortunately, I do more Mahi than Tuna, but at least we get some meat from our fishing trips! The thin fillets and big bloodline kinda make them a pain to fillet. I'll do Tuna over Mahi any day!!

Konosuke 270mm mioroshi deba.

And yeah if the mahi are smaller like this one it can be tricky to get nice filets. You cant go too deep into the bloodline or they will seperate. On a larger mahi you just separate the two halves and filet them individually but that doesn't work well on the smaller guys portion wise.

Nice video. I for one love dorado and will trade my yellowfin any day for dorado. I like wahoo,dorado,and white sea bass. Usually keep my bluefin though. I have money being spent on too many different things right now and you keep doing videos of your mioroshi deba. Every time I see that I want to buy one.

Thanks for the video...quite educational for someone who has never used a deba--or any single bevel knife for that matter. I noticed that you use both sides of the knife depending on the cut direction which is something I didn't associate with a single bevel...figured you had to keep moving things around to 'work with the knife,' makes me think I need a deba myself. :knife:

Nice video, Rick. I like Mahi, unfortunately that's the fish you get most often dry and overcooked out here, and very often people don't spend enough time on cleaning the blood line - at least in the affordable restaurants... And I like the little slit in the tail to grab the fillet - so easy but I never thought of it (not that I had many opportunities to take larger fish apart...). I was wondering: In the vids of dissecting larger tunas, I saw the guys scraping off the meat that was left on the bone with a spoon, maybe for farces or tartar? Would you do that with mahi also? Or maybe only with bigger ones?

Stefan

Sure yeah you could use the scrape for ceviche, or makizushi, maybe a mousse or farce. In fact sometimes I do. Just didn't have a use for it at this time.

I took as much of the bloodline out as I was comfortable with on this one. Any more and the belly section can seperate during cooking. That's why the larger filets are better in this regard. You can just split them down the center and completely remove all of the bloodline. But whatever, the little guys are tasty too. Just dont overcook them. :D

thx for NEW video !

please tell me some info about these light-yellow boards, how old they are, where they are sold ?

I think they are from Japan..

Great to see you back in video production mode again! Good to see that you and the mioroshi are getting along well too.

thx for NEW video !

please tell me some info about these light-yellow boards, how old they are, where they are sold ?

I think they are from Japan..

Just search amazon for SaniTuff. I use 3/4" thick boards 18"x24"

Nope. Just choke higher up on the spine. That doesn't mean I won't be getting a 210mm Deba anyway though. :D

Nice. I'll be getting a 210mm next as well. I love my 180mm though. Always been curious about a 240mm Deba. You almost never see them.

Hopefully heading offshore in about 12 hours!!! Watching fish filleting videos to get ready :knife:

Are you able to record sound with your videos? I think that the sounds can be quite informative with video, such as being able to hear the knife running along the bones inside the fillet.

Are you able to record sound with your videos? I think that the sounds can be quite informative with video, such as being able to hear the knife running along the bones inside the fillet.

Yes, but I dub over it most of the time because there is just way too much **** talking and inappropriate language going on in the kitchen. The videos are linked to the members website so I try to keep it clean.

I'm glad I watched your videos!! I was a bit rusty, but got into the swing of the Offshore season with one Longfin Tuna (Albacore) and 1 nice Mahi to do!

Yes, but I dub over it most of the time because there is just way too much **** talking and inappropriate language going on in the kitchen. The videos are linked to the members website so I try to keep it clean.

I thought that may have been the case.

I even used your trick of putting a slit into the piece near the tail to hold it. Worked great!! No pictures though, we were trying to get it done quick and back in the cooler so we could get the rest of the boat cleaned up.

Latest posts

Back