Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gengetsu 240 mm semistainless gyuto

Gengetsu 240 mm semistainless gyuto

A while back, I had the opportunity to try out a 240 Gengetsu in white #2. That knife was pretty close to the perfect knife, IMO. The tip wasn't quite where I like it and white #2 is nice but the edge retention is just good. I just received the semistainless version and the tip is a touch better positioned and lo and behold, the cutting performance was very similar. So I'm writing an initial review.

The standard specs are:
    Mass: 189 g
    Edge: 246 mm
    Heel: 4.16 mm
    Mid: 2.24 mm
    tip-1": 1.32 mm

...and my calipers just died. Well, it's thin behind the edge but it isn't the thinnest I've ever seen. It's a substantial knife and balances nearly 2" in front of the heel. It cuts everything but large, hard squash, etc. with ease and precision, not to mention excellent food release. It's a pretty stiff knife. The closest knife I've seen that gets pub around here is a Miz which runs a little longer. This one is stainless clad and the semi stainless is pretty unreactive. I had to "baste" it for a couple hours with fruit salad juices after making a 5 gal bucket of fruit salad in order to get some nice contrast going. Anyway, the OOTB edge was decent and really came alive with a couple of passes on my strop (leather 1 mcn diamond). I've cut quite a bit of material in the last couple of days and it is still shaving nicely. I'm impressed, at this point.

The bevels were a little uneven (at the heel, the left bevel is 1mm right bevel is a hair's width, for example). The spine and choil aren't really rounded-looking but they do not feel sharp. The finish on the knife has some very minor scratching that was not removed. I can't wait to sharpen it but I'm waiting to see how long the OOTB edge lasts with some light maintenance. The handle is comfortable and rustic and very light. I think I will rehandle it but I'll use it a bit more before I make that call.

I love this knife. I don't know if it is going to be my fave and I don't think it replaces what a "laser" can do well but it is an excellent, excellent knife as far as I can tell. Here are some pics after basting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070386.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	7448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1070387.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	7449
    and some OOTB shots...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bevel.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	7452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spine.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	7456Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OOTB.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	7455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Choil.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	7454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bevel2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	7453
    Oh, and the saya fits nicely. I think I will actually use this one.

I just realized I made it sound like this is a shorter, stainless clad Mizuno. It isn't. It is more substantial feeling, a better cutter, more consistent fit and finish, and better handle.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Nice contrast you have there.

Beautiful knife!
    Respect the product, support the purveyors, cook with humility.

Thanks!

Nice review and those pictures look nice and full size too...LOL

Nice review.

What is the core steel here then?

Quote Originally Posted by add View Post
    ...What is the core steel here then?
    I dunno. It is more on the stainless end of the spectrum than a Heiji, for example. It's clearly on the harder side of the spectrum as well.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Wow, looks good. I had to clean off the keyboard before I could start typing.

Hahaha. I've been using it almost exclusively on poly and I'm starting to think about sharpening this baby. It seems to respond well to stropping and rodding, btw. It still shaves but I can tell the edge has lost a fair amount of aggression.