Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gengetsu 240 mm semistainless gyuto

have you had a chance to sharpen it yet? how does it feel on the stones?

Well, I was going to sharpen it but I happened to have a 5k Rika on my counter and I put a couple of edge trailing strokes on it a couple of weeks ago and it's been great since.

I tried this knife, it is on the list along with some UWRS from Devin. This thing cuts like nothing, stiction is not an issue and it feels hefty not laserish. I have no F word clue how they do it but it works wonders. I thought about disappearing this one from TK's magix bag, it is that good. Plus the patina looks bad ass.

im sold. just trying to figure out if i want a 240 or 270.

A couple things about this knife. One person who saw the knife, commented that it was surprisingly (maybe unappealingly) blade heavy, if that makes a difference to you. I would assume that the 270 would be even moreso.

If you had the choice, would you go for a 240 Heiji or this one? I don't know why, but I'm getting the stupid urge to pick up a bigger 240 again (like the two I sold earlier )

I am assuming it was me that said it was blade heavy, if I am wrong than its just something else to note. I do however like blade heavy knives. Plus this knife cuts so well that literally the weight of the blade cuts through stuff so all one has to do is lift it and let it drop.

@heirkb: That's a tough question. I love my Heijis. The Heiji steel is such a pleasure to sharpen. They are both excellent cutters. I dunno. I don't think I could live without both, lol. If you're rough with your knives, the Gengetsu is less chippy plus it's less expensive... I dunno. I'd hate to tell you to grab one of these only to find out your true love is Heiji.

@memorael: Nope. That was someone else but I agree 100% with your comments. There was no question in my mind and all the folks in your kitchen got all hot and bothered using it.

@TK now the kitchen is all fed up with the *cheap hattori knife I keep around for the crew... Thanks TK! for stirring the muddy water LOL.