Quantcast
Fit and finish problems with Devin's ITK knives
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fit and finish problems with Devin's ITK knives

Fit and finish problems with Devin's ITK knives

I am posting this well-aware that Devin's custom knives are the ultimate in craftsmanship, and also grateful that we are getting properly heat-treated, AEB-L at a price much lower than custom in his mid-techs. Also aware that the whole idea of mid-tech is to lower costs by outsourcing one or two aspects of the production process. And I have no complaints about their performance "in the kitchen."

But when I received the pictured petty (bottom pic) and cleaver (first two) I was disappointed to find small gaps where the tang joins the ferrule, his name not fully etched/stamped. Has anyone else seen this?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

A.) Have you ever seen a Carter stamp?
    B.) Have you ever seen a Takeda ferrule?

Lol...these look pretty acceptable to me....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I'd tend to agree with NoChop that the ferrules--especially the top one--are well within what I would expect from a properly finished knife. Sure, the maker's mark is uneven. Up to you if that's important or not.

They look to me like "Hand Made" imperfections. As far as the maker's mark, you get one shot at it and it's either perfect or it's something south of that. The little gaps between the tang and the ferrule can easily be fixed with Zap-A-Gap or some super glue. Did you buy these knives new?

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    They look to me like "Hand Made" imperfections. As far as the maker's mark, you get one shot at it and it's either perfect or it's something south of that. The little gaps between the tang and the ferrule can easily be fixed with Zap-A-Gap or some super glue. Did you buy these knives new?
    Yes, knives were bought new. And of course, I understand there's room for stuff like this in mostly hand made knives.

I had an ITK, and did notice some issues in a similar vein, but I don't think they were deal killers. In fact, mine had some minor grind and profile issues, which I think are far more serious. But I don't think I was appalled. These aren't his customs. They aren't even CLOSE to his customs. At that price, and given the sheer number of them, they can't be, there's just not enough time to do that. So I don't think I was very disappointed, or if I was it was only because I'd heard and seen some truly legendary DT customs, and thought that this was a more affordable avenue to get exactly that. But it was still a great knife, with great steel and geometry and quite good F+F. It was comfortable and very pretty and cut like the dickens. With that said, I should probably also note that I don't own that knife today...

Those look ok to me. I assure you that when the stamp didn't take just right, he probably kicked himself a bit. But I think a slightly faded stamp is better than two stamps.

Engorged Member
    Have you reached out to DT about your issues? I have always found Devin more than accommodating when it came to rectifying any problems I had with his knives.

In my opinion, those imperfections are inconsequential. I wouldn't be super happy about them but I would just seal the holes and not worry too much about it. There's no way to fix the stamp and they are all different since he makes them with an actual stamp and a hammer and I think it has to be done prior to hardening.

I have seen worse on what were supposedly "higher quality knives" the stamp yes it would irk me but only because it was luck of the draw and could have been nicer. The ferrules I'd just get a dab of epoxy or some such and fill the slight gaps if I did anything which I probably wouldn't cause like I said I've seen bigger gaps on more expensive knives and while it bugged me it wasn't enough to make me regret my decision, nor to contact the maker about fixing it, it's just nature of the beast to me.