Quantcast
Fit and finish problems with Devin's ITK knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fit and finish problems with Devin's ITK knives

Thanks everyone for your support. There have been some issues with the ITK knives. Because of the expectations of my customers, I have had to work on fixing some things. Thank you for holding me to a higher standard.

@ RiffRaff, please let me try and fix these problems. I can't fix the name stamp though. One day it may have more value because it.

Hoss

Lol, Getting a "perfect" tang hole fit it pretty hard to do and seldom accomplished in even in more expensive knives.

How do the knives cut?

If you bought it from a retailer I'd contact them about trading it for another.
    Glen

Engorged Member
    I think the thing you're missing here is that these are working knives. I bought my ITK and was working in a kitchen 10-14 hours a day. I could care less about what it looked like. I wanted a pure cutting knife and this was it.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    Thanks everyone for your support. There have been some issues with the ITK knives. Because of the expectations of my customers, I have had to work on fixing some things. Thank you for holding me to a higher standard.

@ RiffRaff, please let me try and fix these problems. I can't fix the name stamp though. One day it may have more value because it.

Hoss
    That is the true mark of a professional! And unfortunately, yes DT is held to a much higher standard, but that only says how good he really is!

Cheers,

I just looked through a bunch of knives and I almost don't have any that look that good at the tang-hole. Several have big blobs of epoxy filled in around the tang, and a few of the Japanese made knives I filled with bees wax.
    I realize you paid a lot for the knives and you obviously expected better, but the truth is, you GOT better.
    If you want the best, then be prepared to pay double or triple what you just did.
    An expectation of perfection shouldn't be expected until you get to a high-dollar custom, and even then... you are buying a hand-made item.
    This isn't a factory knife; If one wants Shun F&F... buy one.

People keep asking "how does it cut?"
    That's because, quite plainly, you bought a knife that promises performance.
    If that is missing, then you have a real gripe.

Devin has generously offered to "do something" but, IMHO, it would be unreasonable to ask him to do so based on these minor cosmetic blemishes.

I hope you can get past these imperfections and still enjoy your new knives with the utmost confidence and joy.
    If you don't think that will be the case you should talk to you retailer about a return, then you might consider a factory knife or a full custom order.

I realize F&F are highly important to some users (the Mrs. being one of them) but I am a utilitarian, so I apologize if my opinion here comes off a bit brusk.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    There have been some issues with the ITK knives. Because of the expectations of my customers...
    I agree with that. Devin has upped the ante on quality standards, and as a group, we do have some pretty high -- and at times unreasonable -- standards. If we applied the same standards to our women and family, we would all be single and living in a hermit shack in the woods.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    ...This isn't a factory knife; If one wants Shun F&F... buy one...
    Actually, I've been looking at my old Shun, lately. I'm less impressed now that I once was.

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    ...Devin has generously offered to "do something" but, IMHO, it would be unreasonable to ask him to do so based on these minor cosmetic blemishes...
    +1

Shoot, maybe that stamp 'error' will make the knife go up in value like an upside-down postage stamp one day

As far as the tang goes, that is not uncommon in this price range, and even in knives that are a bit more expensive. Go the DIY route to fix it, or take Devin up on his offer.

I'm lucky enough to have scored a 240 AEB-L gyuto and a 150 52100 petty from the DT ITK collection, and those or two of my most-used knives.

Devin's ITK line is, unfortunately, held to a higher standard, as many felt like F&F should be equal to his full customs. As bprescot said, the real issues are the ones that have some grind issues, and Devin has been very accomodating in correcting those problems when they have been brought to his attention.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Actually, I've been looking at my old Shun, lately. I'm less impressed now that I once was.
    hah, i had the same reaction when i looked at the 6 inch Shun santoku i had given my fiancee. that knife was my first good knife, years ago, and i hadn't really looked at it in years. after looking at it, i looked at the other Shuns i still have kicking around, and also decided that the F&F wasn't what i remembered.

anyway, the issues with the knives in question aren't really issues.