Quantcast
Fit and finish problems with Devin's ITK knives - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fit and finish problems with Devin's ITK knives

It wouldn't change my mind as its really quite a small fix (re the gap in the handle/ferrule) although I disagree re price point both my hand made professional knives from Shinichi Watanabe (Deba and Yanagiba) are perfect when it comes to fit and finish and both come in at less that these "mass produced" knives.

Tell you what Dav, I'd be happy to buy both of those DT knives from you. I'm not beat'n up on you over your issues, but I realize that for some people these kind of things just really bug the crap out of them.

Lol I'm sure they do we are all different I guess and have different standards/likes/preferences. I really don't have many knives to make comparisons so perhaps shouldn't be lol

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Tell you what Dav, I'd be happy to buy both of those DT knives from you. I'm not beat'n up on you over your issues, but I realize that for some people these kind of things just really bug the crap out of them.
    No way, i have dibs on cleaver. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by dav View Post
    It wouldn't change my mind as its really quite a small fix (re the gap in the handle/ferrule) although I disagree re price point both my hand made professional knives from Shinichi Watanabe (Deba and Yanagiba) are perfect when it comes to fit and finish and both come in at less that these "mass produced" knives.
    I have seen a good number of Watanabe (or are they?) knives, and single-beveled seem to be a little better in terms of grind, fit and finish than double-beveled under Watanabe brand name. However, I would not call them "perfect" - I could find minor flaws - overgrinds, dips in the edge, bends on the spine on most I have seen (most flaws didn't affect performance, but some did).

Maybe you just got lucky and got perfect ones but I suspect you haven't inspected them closely enough.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I can say that even with Shigefusa, for what we collectively count as one of the pinnacle of blade making, have had some issues with forging separation (although very slight). Marko can attest to that because it was my yanagiba that he worked on and sold me, but I completely understood and am very OK with it.

I know it sucks because we all want a perfect blade and the price we pay isn't exactly cheap. However, take it in perspective. Even though it is not a full custom knife, it is still a hand made product. There are still going to be inconsistencies.

If that still bothers the OP, he can put it on the BST section, and I am sure someone will relieve him of the knife really quickly.

Yes, even Shigefusa knives come with imperfections, thought much more minor than from other makers (seen dips in the edge, but no overgrinds, but their knives are ridiculously thin at the very edge).

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

But seriously, has anyone ever had a Carter with a perfect stamp? Mine is closer to half a C, a space, and a "ter"....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    But seriously, has anyone ever had a Carter with a perfect stamp? Mine is closer to half a C, a space, and a "ter"....
    I guess I got lucky

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    the Carter i owned had a good stamp, though it had other (cosmetic only) issues. good knife, just not quite to my tastes.